LR Circuit Analysis: Find Current i When Switch is Opened

In summary, the conversation is about finding the current through an inductor when a switch is opened after being closed for a long time. The attempt at a solution involves replacing the inductor with a wire and calculating the current, but there is confusion about what happens when the switch is opened. The correct answer is that the current through the inductor does not immediately cease, due to Lenz's Law.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Switch S is closed for long time in the figure shown. Find the current i as soon as the switch is opened.

The Attempt at a Solution

At t=∞ inductor behaves as closed circuit. So, I can simply replace it with a wire and calculate the current which comes out to be 9A. But I can't understand what will happen when the switch is opened. Will the current die out instantly? Will it be the same as before?

Attachments

• 20140422_220614.jpg
    20140422_220614.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Switch S is closed for long time in the figure shown. Find the current i as soon as the switch is opened.

The Attempt at a Solution

At t=∞ inductor behaves as closed circuit. So, I can simply replace it with a wire and calculate the current which comes out to be 9A. But I can't understand what will happen when the switch is opened. Will the current die out instantly? Will it be the same as before?
First of all, how did you get 9 A? Is that what you get for the current through the inductor ? (Yes, I assume you're getting this while the switch is still closed.) ... but how did you get that?

SammyS said:
First of all, how did you get 9 A? Is that what you get for the current through the inductor ? (Yes, I assume you're getting this while the switch is still closed.) ... but how did you get that?

Sorry. I misunderstood the question. It asks for the current through the inductor. I calculated the current flowing through the battery instead. btw I got the correct answer.

So what current flows through the inductor?

The current through the battery ceases immediately when the switch is opened, but the current through the inductor does not. Think of Lenz's Law.

utkarshakash said:
1. Will the current die out instantly? Will it be the same as before?

Can current EVER die out instantly in an inductor? Can current change in an inductor if you don't give it any time to change?

Related to LR Circuit Analysis: Find Current i When Switch is Opened

What is an LR circuit?

An LR circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a combination of inductance (L) and resistance (R) elements.

What is an open switch in an LR circuit?

An open switch is a break in the circuit that prevents current from flowing through the circuit.

How do you find the current (i) in an LR circuit when the switch is opened?

To find the current (i) in an LR circuit when the switch is opened, you can use the equation i = I0e-t/τ, where I0 is the initial current, t is the time since the switch was opened, and τ is the time constant of the circuit.

What is the time constant (τ) of an LR circuit?

The time constant (τ) of an LR circuit is a measure of how quickly the current in the circuit changes. It is equal to the ratio of the inductance (L) and resistance (R) in the circuit, or τ = L/R.

Why is it important to analyze an LR circuit when the switch is opened?

Analyzing an LR circuit when the switch is opened allows us to understand how the current in the circuit changes over time. This information is useful for designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits, as well as understanding the behavior of inductors and resistors in a circuit.