Lowish Verbal GRE Score and Top Physics Grad Programs

In summary, a low Verbal score on the GRE could potentially hurt your chances at top grad schools, so it is important to check with the specific schools you are interested in to see their admissions criteria. It may be worth retaking the GRE if you can significantly improve your Verbal score, but be sure to also focus on showcasing your academic accomplishments, research experience, publications, and awards in your application. Good luck!
menestjl
Hi Everyone,

I just finished up the GRE with with a Verbal:530, Q:780, A:5.5 and was wondering how much that low verbal score would hurt my chances at top grad schools in astrophysics.

I know a lot of averages are ~600ish, but I have the following on my resume which I think is rather good.

Vanderbilt University: Overall GPA 3.85: Physics GPA 3.95
-2011 Goldwater Scholar
-Working on a current publication in theoretical astrophysics on big bang photosynthesis
-Winner of Vanderbilt's McMinn Honors Scholarship (2 sophomores get it each year for full ride/have had it then for a year)
-Winner of Vanderbilt's Ernst Jones Physics Scholarship
-RISE program in Germany last summer
-Two Summers working at ORNL in nanoscience
-Poster presentations at National conferences during High School
-Have finished my undergraduate courses so next semester (my senior year) I am taking 4 graduate courses and doing senior research

Taking the physics GRE in October and expect that I'll do pretty well ~850ish.

Thoughts on my low Verbal... Worth taking it again or just rest on the rest of application to pull it up?

Physics news on Phys.org
A low Verbal score could certainly hurt your chances at top grad schools, depending on the school's admissions criteria. You should check with the particular schools you are interested in to see what their admissions requirements are. Some may place more emphasis on the Verbal score than others, so it is important to find out what the expectations are. It may be worth taking the GRE again if you think you can improve your Verbal score significantly. However, if you think you can only make a small improvement, it might not be worth the effort and time. In any case, it is important that you focus on the rest of your application - such as your academic accomplishments, research experience, publications, and awards - to demonstrate your qualifications for the program. Good luck!

Related to Lowish Verbal GRE Score and Top Physics Grad Programs

1. What is considered a "lowish" verbal GRE score for physics grad programs?

A "lowish" verbal GRE score for physics grad programs would depend on the specific program and university. Generally, a score below the 50th percentile (around 150-152) would be considered low, but it is always best to check with the specific program's requirements.

2. Will a low verbal GRE score significantly impact my chances of getting into a top physics grad program?

A low verbal GRE score may impact your chances of getting into a top physics grad program, but it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. They also take into account your overall academic performance, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. A strong performance in these areas can help balance out a lower verbal GRE score.

3. Can I make up for a low verbal GRE score with a strong quantitative GRE score?

A strong quantitative GRE score can certainly help offset a lower verbal GRE score, but it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. They also look at your overall academic performance, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. It is important to have a well-rounded application rather than just focusing on one aspect.

4. Are there any physics grad programs that do not consider the verbal GRE score in their admissions process?

Some physics grad programs may place less emphasis on the verbal GRE score or not require it at all. However, it is always best to check with the specific program's requirements to see if they have any specific GRE score requirements.

5. Can I retake the GRE to improve my verbal score specifically for physics grad program admissions?

Yes, you can retake the GRE to improve your verbal score specifically for physics grad program admissions. However, keep in mind that some schools will see all of your GRE scores, so it is important to make sure you are adequately prepared before retaking the exam. It is also important to focus on improving your overall application in addition to retaking the GRE.