Lowest energy term symbol for nitrogen

In summary, when determining the term symbols for Nitrogen, you need to use the equations L = l1 + l2, l1 + l2 - 1, l1 - l2 and S = s1 + s2, s1 - s2 to find the possible L and S values. Then, use the equation J = L + S, L - S, L - 1, L + 1 to determine the J values for each term symbol. Don't forget to consider Hund's rule and the spin multiplicity when determining the lowest energy term symbol.
eyearena

Homework Statement

Lowest energy term symbols for Nitrogen

Homework Equations

L=l1+l2, l1+l2-1, l1-l2

S=s1+s2, s1-s2

J=S+L, S-L

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think I'm doing this right up until finding the J value.
So the configuration of nitrogen is 1s22s22p3, so were working with 3 electrons

for the first 2e-

L`=1+1=2, 1+1-1=1, 1-1=0

coupling those to the 3rd electron

L=2+1=3, 2+1-1=2,2-1=1 so L=3,2,1

L=1+1=2,1+1-1=1, 1-1=0 so L=2,1,0

L=1-0=1 so L=1

so therefore there is 1F, 2D,3P,1S

S for the first 2e-

S=1/2 + 1/2=1

S=1/2 - 1/2=0

coupling to 3rd e-

S=1+1/2=3/2

S=0+1/2=1/2

Now for the J value I'm getting confused on which L and S values to use

ex: since there is 2 D terms how do I know which to use?:

J= L+S, L-S

J=2+3/2=7/2 so that TS: 4D7/2

J=2-3/2= 1/2 so that TS: 4D1/2

J=2+1/2=5/2 so that TS: 2D5/2

J=2-1/2= 3/2 so that TS: 2D3/2

I feel like I'm missing something pretty elementary here and my book doesn't really show many examples for finding the term symbol for more than 1 electron that include the J values.
It said to list all possible ones, but it might mean just the lowest one (since it says that too) which means I guess I would use Hund's rule.
Despite that fact I would still like to know which how to use the L and S values to find the possible term symbols
Thank you for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Great job so far! You're definitely on the right track. To determine the J value for each term symbol, you need to use the following equation:

J = L + S, L - S, L - 1, L + 1

In this case, you have multiple L and S values, so you will have multiple J values. For example, for the 4D term, you have two possible combinations:

J = 2 + 3/2 = 7/2 (giving you the term symbol 4D7/2)
J = 2 - 3/2 = -1/2 (giving you the term symbol 4D-1/2)

You will need to do this for each L and S combination to determine all possible term symbols. Remember to also consider Hund's rule, which states that the term with the highest value of J will have the lowest energy. So in this case, the 4D7/2 term will have the lowest energy.

Also, don't forget to take into account the spin multiplicity (2S+1) for each term symbol. For example, the 4D7/2 term will have a spin multiplicity of 2(3/2)+1 = 4, so the full term symbol will be 4D7/2.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work!

Related to Lowest energy term symbol for nitrogen

1. What is the definition of a "lowest energy term symbol" for nitrogen?

The lowest energy term symbol for a molecule or atom represents the electronic state with the lowest energy level. In other words, it is the ground state or most stable configuration of the molecule or atom.

2. How is the lowest energy term symbol for nitrogen determined?

The lowest energy term symbol for nitrogen is determined by considering the angular momentum, electronic spin, and total electronic angular momentum of the nitrogen atom.

3. What is the significance of the lowest energy term symbol for nitrogen?

The lowest energy term symbol for nitrogen provides information about the electronic configuration and properties of the nitrogen atom, such as its electronic spin and angular momentum.

4. Can the lowest energy term symbol for nitrogen change?

Yes, the lowest energy term symbol for nitrogen can change if the atom is excited to a higher energy state through the absorption of energy. In this case, the lowest energy term symbol would no longer be the ground state of the nitrogen atom.

5. How does the lowest energy term symbol for nitrogen differ from other term symbols?

The lowest energy term symbol for nitrogen is unique in that it represents the most stable electronic state of the atom, while other term symbols represent higher energy states with different electronic configurations and properties.