Lower/Higher Tolerance Ratings for Caps?

• Thread starter TheLaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tolerance
In summary, the speaker built an Arduino board and needs to hook it up to their computer using a spare Serial port, but the Arduino only outputs 5V while the Serial port requires 10V. They need to build a simple circuit with 4 1uF caps to convert the voltage. The speaker also discusses the impact of tolerance ratings on capacitors and suggests using the lowest tolerance possible for more precise results. They also mention the need for a level and voltage converter like the MAX232 and advise testing the logic level with the computer's serial port before building the circuit.
TheLaw
I built an Arduino board from scratch and I am dying to test it out, but I have nothing to hook it up to my computer with. I have a spare Serial port on the back of my computer, but since Serial uses 10V, I need to build a very simple circuit that converts the 5V from the Arduino to the 10V for the RS-232/Serial port on my computer. I need 4 1uF caps. I am going to be using ceramic...but something that I never looked at whenever I built an electronic, was the tolerance rating. Odd, yes, but its true.

Better now than never I suppose...So, in general, is it better for a capacitor to have a tolerance of +/- 1% or +/- 5% or +/- 20%. What does tolerance really mean to me and to the application?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tolerance is the variation in the component's printed value. So with a tolerance of +-20%, your 1uF capacitor could be 20% higher or lower than it actually says. So you'd want the lowest tolerance as you can but in many situations it doesn't matter too much so you can get away with cheaper but less precise parts.

I'm not sure exactly what you're doing so I can't say exactly what tolerance you should choose, but do some calculations, would having your parts deviate by 20% or so affect the outcome by any large degree?

Real RS232 is (usually) a +/-5v swing, see the Wiki page for more. Your Arduino has "logic level" serial, which is a 5/0v swing. You need a level and voltage converter like the MAX232 to do the job: http://www.kmitl.ac.th/~kswichit/MAX232/MAX232.htm

Which, now that I look at the circuit and there's 4 caps, is maybe what you are doing...

The value of the caps is probably fairly advisory, so you can likely use 10-20% w/o trouble. Also you could try plugging the logic level into your computer and see if it cares. It's within the specs of real RS232 and it might just adjust to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Lower/Higher Tolerance Ratings for Caps?

What are "Lower/Higher Tolerance Ratings for Caps"?

Lower/Higher Tolerance Ratings for Caps refer to the range of acceptable deviations from the specified dimensions or properties for a given cap. This rating system is commonly used in the manufacturing of caps to ensure quality control and precision in the final product.

Why are Tolerance Ratings important for Caps?

Tolerance Ratings are important for caps because they ensure that the caps have consistent dimensions and properties, which is crucial for their proper functioning. Without proper tolerance ratings, caps may not fit securely or may have issues with leakage, which can impact the overall quality of the product.

How are Tolerance Ratings determined for Caps?

Tolerance Ratings for Caps are determined through a series of measurements and tests during the manufacturing process. These measurements are compared to the specified dimensions and properties for the caps, and the acceptable range of deviations is determined based on industry standards and customer requirements.

What is the difference between Lower and Higher Tolerance Ratings for Caps?

The lower tolerance rating for caps indicates a smaller acceptable range of deviations from the specified dimensions or properties, while the higher tolerance rating allows for a larger range of acceptable deviations. Lower tolerance ratings are typically used for caps that require a high level of precision, while higher tolerance ratings may be suitable for less critical applications.

How do Tolerance Ratings for Caps affect the cost of production?

The tighter the tolerance rating for caps, the more precise and consistent the manufacturing process needs to be, which can increase production costs. On the other hand, looser tolerance ratings may allow for more flexibility and reduce production costs. Ultimately, the tolerance rating for caps must be carefully balanced with the cost and quality requirements of the final product.