Low Voltage DC Power Supplies - Why?

In summary, a low voltage dc power supply is useful because it can be used to power devices that require a smaller DC voltage, or to power devices that are intrinsically safe.
chiasm
Hi guys, first post here. I am an Electrical Engineering student (2nd year) and I have a part time job doing qualification and FMEA type work on power supplies. It's been a great learning experience and it's really helped me in my classes.

Right now, I am doing a qual on a low voltage dc (LVDC) power supply. The input for the power supply ranges from -36Vdc to -72Vdc and the output is two 12V where load current can range from 0 to 36A.

My question is, why are low voltage DC supplies used? Where is LVDC provided (i.e., what types of buildings provide LVDC)?

My understanding of other supplies is that they convert a 120Vac (or 220-240, etc.) to a smaller DC voltage. I just don't understand where a LVDC supply is useful.

I have asked at work, but there is so much bureaucratic catch-22 (very large company) that I can't seem to get a clear answer.

I've googled quite a bit but can't seem to even find anything remotely relevant, so any understanding you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
chiasm said:
Hi guys, first post here. I am an Electrical Engineering student (2nd year) and I have a part time job doing qualification and FMEA type work on power supplies. It's been a great learning experience and it's really helped me in my classes.

Right now, I am doing a qual on a low voltage dc (LVDC) power supply. The input for the power supply ranges from -36Vdc to -72Vdc and the output is two 12V where load current can range from 0 to 36A.

My question is, why are low voltage DC supplies used? Where is LVDC provided (i.e., what types of buildings provide LVDC)?

My understanding of other supplies is that they convert a 120Vac (or 220-240, etc.) to a smaller DC voltage. I just don't understand where a LVDC supply is useful.

I have asked at work, but there is so much bureaucratic catch-22 (very large company) that I can't seem to get a clear answer.

I've googled quite a bit but can't seem to even find anything remotely relevant, so any understanding you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

Welcome to the PF!

What's FMEA? To try to start answering your question, I can think of two applications for LVDC input power supplies. The first is in the telcom industry, where -48Vdc power supplies are ubiquitous. The second is in battery-based applications.

Airplanes?

a use for LVDC that i am familiar with is controlling servo systems of robotics and automation. where you use a dc signal to send a specific wave-form to a servo to get a desired type of motion, mainly in speed and direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't recall what it stands for but a FMEA is a design risk assessment where different people get together to assess the schematics for a device (e.g. 1MVA portable substation in an underground mine) in the hope of picking up any potential safety issues, design faults, problems with a lack of redundancy etc, before the device is actually built, and to make sure it complies with all the appropriate standards for the location it will be used in.

Most of the time LVDC supply is used in regards to either Intrinsically Safe (IS; not enough energy to create a spark in a hazardous environment) items, or for general safety.

For example, there is a big push at the moment to develop more stringent standard for pushbuttons in underground mines in Australia (including higher IP ratings; dust and water seals), as everything gets washed down, and when the seals on pushbuttons deteriorate they allow water to bridge the front button with the 240V supply, zapping people who try to use them. The push is to make the supplies 24V instead, and to have the FMEA recognize this problem and correct it before construction ;)

Related to Low Voltage DC Power Supplies - Why?

1. What is a low voltage DC power supply?

A low voltage DC power supply is a device that converts high voltage AC power from a wall outlet into low voltage DC power that is suitable for powering electronic devices. It typically has an input voltage of 110V or 220V and outputs a specific voltage, such as 5V or 12V, depending on the needs of the device.

2. Why do we need low voltage DC power supplies?

Most electronic devices, such as computers, mobile phones, and household appliances, require low voltage DC power to function. This is because the internal components of these devices operate on low voltage DC power, and using high voltage AC power directly could damage the device. Low voltage DC power supplies ensure that the correct voltage is delivered to the device, preventing any potential damage.

3. How do low voltage DC power supplies work?

Low voltage DC power supplies use a transformer to step down the high voltage AC power from a wall outlet. This lower voltage AC power is then converted into DC power using diodes and capacitors. The output voltage is regulated and stabilized to ensure a constant supply of power to the electronic device.

4. What are the benefits of using low voltage DC power supplies?

Low voltage DC power supplies offer several benefits, including improved safety, efficiency, and versatility. They are designed to prevent electric shock and reduce the risk of damage to electronic devices. They also have a higher energy efficiency compared to traditional power supplies, resulting in lower energy costs. Additionally, they can be used to power a wide range of electronic devices, making them a versatile choice for both commercial and personal use.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using low voltage DC power supplies?

One potential drawback of using low voltage DC power supplies is their limited output power compared to high voltage AC power. This means that they may not be suitable for powering large or high-powered electronic devices. Additionally, if the power supply is not properly regulated, it may result in fluctuations in the output voltage, which could potentially damage the connected device. It is important to choose a high-quality and properly regulated power supply to avoid these issues.