Lots of quakes over last few days

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, there are currently three M6+ events happening on the seismograph with another one on its way. The Loyalty Islands experienced a 6.1 aftershock from last weekend's M7.7 earthquake, while two other 6.1 quakes occurred near Port Vila, Vanuatu and Fiji. The latest event, a 5.8 quake, is located south of Australia and west of Macquarie Island. Let's hope for the safety of those in the affected areas and hope that the new event does not cause much damage.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
there are 3 M6+ events on my seismo at the moment and another quake coming in as I type this

6.1, Loyalty Isl after shock of the M7.7 last weekend
6.1 SSW of Port Vila, Vanuatu
6.1 NE of Fiji

and the new event - 5.8, South of Australia ( West of Macquarie Island)

210217-17  3 M6 plus events zhi.gif

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
davenn said:
and another quake coming in as I type this

Then don't hit the keys so hard!

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, anorlunda, sysprog and 2 others

Wow, that's quite a lot of M6+ events happening in that region. It's definitely concerning, especially with the after shock of the M7.7 from last weekend. I hope everyone in those areas is staying safe and taking necessary precautions. It's always scary when there's a string of earthquakes happening in a short period of time. Let's hope the new event near Australia doesn't cause too much damage.

Related to Lots of quakes over last few days

1. What is causing all of the recent earthquakes?

The recent earthquakes are most likely caused by tectonic plates shifting and releasing built-up energy. This is a natural process that occurs on a regular basis.

2. Are these earthquakes related to climate change?

No, earthquakes are not directly related to climate change. They are caused by geological processes, not changes in the Earth's climate.

3. Should I be worried about these earthquakes?

It depends on where you live and the severity of the earthquakes. If you live in an area prone to earthquakes, it is important to have an emergency plan in place. However, if you live in an area with low seismic activity, there is no need to worry.

4. How can scientists predict earthquakes?

Currently, scientists are not able to predict earthquakes with complete accuracy. However, they can monitor seismic activity and identify areas that are at a higher risk for earthquakes.

5. Is there a way to prevent earthquakes?

No, earthquakes are a natural occurrence and cannot be prevented. However, building codes and disaster preparedness plans can help minimize the impact of earthquakes on communities.