Lots of people read this, but no one helped.

• Thread starter Fittleroni
  • Start date
In summary, using the ideal gas law of pV=Nk_BT and the given values of pressure, volume, and temperature, we can solve for the number of molecules of helium gas in the balloon. Then, using the equation E(int)=3/2nRT, we can find the average kinetic energy of the helium atoms. Finally, using the equation v=sqrt((3RT)/M), we can calculate the root-mean-square speed of the helium atoms. It is important to show all calculations and use the correct units to arrive at the correct answer.
Fittleroni
1. Homework Statement

(a) How many atoms of helium gas fill a balloon of diameter 29.4 cm at 23.5°C and 1.00 atm?
(b) What is the average kinetic energy of the helium atoms?
(c) What is the root-mean-square speed of the helium atoms?

2. Homework Equations

P=2/3[N/V][1/2mv^2]
v=srt(3RT/M)
R=8.31
T=23.5 degrees celcius = 296.5K
M(He)=4.0026g/mol
E(int)=3/2nRT
Avogadros #: 6.0221415 × 10^23

3. The Attempt at a Solution
(a)I don't know how to find the # of molecules. I know I need Avogadros #.
(b)To solve this, don't I need the first one solved?
(c) v=sqrt((3(8.31)(296.5K))/4.0026 g/mol) = 42.97m/s = 0.0429km/s (which is wrong coz I did this part first)

Physics news on Phys.org
For a), you should use the ideal gas law, which is not in your list yet :smile:
It gives you a connection between the pressure, volume, temperature and number of molecules, three of which are given.
Then for b) you can apply one the first two formulas you quoted, plugging in the number N you found in a).
And I don't understand the title.

I had posted this question before, and it was read around 30 times and no one helped me out.

Allright, so I did PV/RT=n, and this did not work. I tried multiplying my result times Avogadro's number and that was not right, so I have exhausted all of my tries, and I have still not arrived at the correct answer for (a). Any more advice?

The ideal gas law can also be written as
[tex]p V = N k_B T,[/tex]
where p is pressure, V is volume, N is number of molecules, T is temperature, and
[tex]k_B \approx 1.38 \times10^{-23} \mathrm{J \cdot K^{-1}}[/tex]
is the Boltzmann constant.

This is much more useful here (though it is exactly the same, as there is the relation R = (Avogadro's #) * (Boltzmann constant)) and it should work. If not, you should give us more information.

As for nobody responding, I apologize, but also note that people here helping other people is a courtesy and not a duty :smile: Maybe nobody knew the answer, maybe people were just busy. You may also want to consult https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379.
By the way, I've asked questions on forums where about 300 people read the thread but nobody responded. So 30 is not that much :biggrin:

Fittleroni said:
Allright, so I did PV/RT=n, and this did not work. I tried multiplying my result times Avogadro's number and that was not right, so I have exhausted all of my tries, and I have still not arrived at the correct answer for (a). Any more advice?

Please show details of your calculations. Just saying you didn't get the right answer isn't very helpful, because there are lots of small (or large) mistakes you could be making. We can't tell you what you're doing wrong if you don't show us what you did.

Hey,

Fittleroni said:
1. Homework Statement

(a) How many atoms of helium gas fill a balloon of diameter 29.4 cm at 23.5°C and 1.00 atm?
(b) What is the average kinetic energy of the helium atoms?
(c) What is the root-mean-square speed of the helium atoms?

2. Homework Equations

P=2/3[N/V][1/2mv^2]
v=srt(3RT/M)
R=8.31
T=23.5 degrees celcius = 296.5K
M(He)=4.0026g/mol
E(int)=3/2nRT
Avogadros #: 6.0221415 × 10^23

3. The Attempt at a Solution
(a)I don't know how to find the # of molecules. I know I need Avogadros #.
(b)To solve this, don't I need the first one solved?
(c) v=sqrt((3(8.31)(296.5K))/4.0026 g/mol) = 42.97m/s = 0.0429km/s (which is wrong coz I did this part first)

Learning LaTeX would have made it easier to understand your calculations. Also, showing more of your work would have helped.

You can refer to the following thread for a somewhat similar problem.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178008

-PFStudent

Last edited:

Related to Lots of people read this, but no one helped.

1. What does "Lots of people read this, but no one helped." mean?

"Lots of people read this, but no one helped." is a statement that suggests that a large number of people have seen or read something, but none of them have offered assistance or support.

2. Why is this phrase often used in reference to social media or online posts?

This phrase is often used in reference to social media or online posts because it reflects the reality that many people may see a post or message, but not take any action to help or engage with it.

3. Is this phrase always used in a negative context?

No, this phrase is not always used in a negative context. It can also be used to express surprise or disappointment that despite a large audience, no one has offered support or assistance.

4. How does this phrase relate to the bystander effect?

This phrase relates to the bystander effect, which is the phenomenon where individuals are less likely to offer help in an emergency situation when there are other people present. In the context of "Lots of people read this, but no one helped.", it reflects the idea that the more people who witness something, the less likely it is for someone to take action.

5. Can this phrase be used in a professional setting?

Yes, this phrase can be used in a professional setting to express frustration or disappointment that despite a large audience or team, no one has stepped up to offer support or assistance.