Question: Is time travel to the past possible according to quantum mechanics?

So in other words, it's possible. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time travel and its possibilities. Time is defined as an increase in entropy and traveling to the future may be possible by slowing down the speed of existence around oneself. However, traveling to the past seems paradoxical and impossible according to the concept of relativity. The conversation also explores the possibility of time travel through other theories such as quantum mechanics.
Ishop
I've been thinking about time travel...who hasn't. Since time is simply the movement of exsistence, it seems that one could go into the future faster than normal by slowing the speed of exsistence around them. I thnk this is pretty well supported. However going into the past does not seem possible. At first thought you think to speed up the movemt of exsistence in your confined area. Not only would you age too quickly, but there is only a point in which you would reach almost complete stillness. If you could go past that point, then things seem like they should start moving in revearse. I don't see this happening though.

Question: How to separate ones self from noraml exsistence so that you could speed up or slow down yur own movements. Spacial distortion comes to mind, but please be more specific than that.

Question 2: Is traveling back in time possible in anyway through accepted scientific methos?

http://i882ldpg3sE[/youtube [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First off, time is defined as an increase in entropy.

Secondly, time travel is theoretically possible. See Einstein's relativity. You could go forward in time when intense g forces are at hand. But, I'm sure you already know that; I have a feeling you're trying to ask something more complex, so are you?

lastly, time travel to the past is paradoxical.

http://i882ldpg3sE[/youtube [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, trying to lok at timetravel as a possibility. I know what you are talking about in realitivity, its very similar to what I discussed. As I said above time travel to the past seems impossible, but is it possible in some other theory, perhaps in QM?

Originally posted by MajinVegeta
First off, time is defined as an increase in entropy.

Secondly, time travel is theoretically possible. See Einstein's relativity. You could go forward in time when intense g forces are at hand. But, I'm sure you already know that; I have a feeling you're trying to ask something more complex, so are you?

lastly, time travel to the past is paradoxical.

Beautifully put, Majin.

Originally posted by Ishop
Yes, trying to lok at timetravel as a possibility. I know what you are talking about in realitivity, its very similar to what I discussed. As I said above time travel to the past seems impossible, but is it possible in some other theory, perhaps in QM?

In QM? I believe some parts of relativity do govern QM in some occasions...but that's just my guess.

1. Is time travel possible?

This is a commonly asked question, and the answer is not clear. The concept of time travel is still just a theory and has not been proven to be possible.

2. Can we go back in time?

As of now, there is no scientific evidence or technology that suggests we can travel backwards in time. Some theories, like the concept of wormholes, suggest that it may be possible, but it remains a topic of ongoing research and discussion.

3. What about traveling to the future?

According to Einstein's Theory of Relativity, time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and speed. This means that it is theoretically possible to travel to the future by traveling at incredibly high speeds or near a massive gravitational force. However, this type of time travel is currently beyond our technological capabilities.

4. Are there any real-life examples of time travel?

There are some examples of time travel in the realm of theoretical physics, such as the Twin Paradox and the Hafele-Keating experiment. However, these examples are based on the effects of time dilation and do not involve physically traveling through time.

5. What are the consequences of time travel?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, as the concept of time travel is still just a theory. However, some potential consequences could include paradoxes, alternate timelines, and changes to the course of history. It is also possible that the act of time travel itself could have unforeseen effects on the fabric of time and space.