Lotka-Volterra equations mistake

• MHB
  • Thread starter kalish1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the Lotka-Volterra equations are a commonly used model for the dynamics of predator-prey interactions. However, the equations only account for one-on-one interactions between the two species, and it has been suggested that they should also consider all possible interactions. This would result in a different set of equations with an exponentiation term, rather than a product term. However, this proposed modification is not necessary as the current model already accounts for the effects of multiple predators on prey and vice versa. While some may have issues with this model, it is still a valid and widely used tool for studying predator-prey dynamics.
kalish1
I have a problem with the Lotka-Volterra equations themselves. I believe that they might be wrong. Here is my reasoning - I would appreciate it if someone could find a flaw in it!

The equations are generally of the form, as quoted from "A Modern Introduction to Differential Equations 2nd edition by Henry Ricardo":

$$\frac{dx}{dt} = a_1x-a_2xy, \frac{dy}{dt}=-b_1y+b_2xy$$

**My issue:** The $xy$ terms represent the number of possible interactions between two species. However, they only represent the number of possible *one-on-one* interactions between the two species. In order to account for *all* the possible interactions, such as $(x-1)$ predators acting on $2$ preys, shouldn't we arrive at $$\sum_{k=1}^x\sum_{j=1}^y {x \choose k}{y \choose j} = (2^x-1)(2^y-1)$$ and thus $$\frac{dx}{dt} = a_1x-a_2(2^x-1)(2^y-1), \frac{dy}{dt}=-b_1y+b_2(2^x-1)(2^y-1)?$$

Doesn't this make the number of interactions proportional not to the product of the number of predators and prey, but to their exponentiation?

Physics news on Phys.org
kalish said:
I have a problem with the Lotka-Volterra equations themselves. I believe that they might be wrong. Here is my reasoning - I would appreciate it if someone could find a flaw in it!

The equations are generally of the form, as quoted from "A Modern Introduction to Differential Equations 2nd edition by Henry Ricardo":

$$\frac{dx}{dt} = a_1x-a_2xy, \frac{dy}{dt}=-b_1y+b_2xy$$

**My issue:** The $xy$ terms represent the number of possible interactions between two species. However, they only represent the number of possible *one-on-one* interactions between the two species. In order to account for *all* the possible interactions, such as $(x-1)$ predators acting on $2$ preys, shouldn't we arrive at $$\sum_{k=1}^x\sum_{j=1}^y {x \choose k}{y \choose j} = (2^x-1)(2^y-1)$$ and thus $$\frac{dx}{dt} = a_1x-a_2(2^x-1)(2^y-1), \frac{dy}{dt}=-b_1y+b_2(2^x-1)(2^y-1)?$$

Doesn't this make the number of interactions proportional not to the product of the number of predators and prey, but to their exponentiation?

No, the model assumes that the number of births of predators is proportional to the prey density, which is proportional to the number of prey in the system, and the number of predators present. Similarly the loss of prey due to predation is also proportional to the product.

If you double the number of predators you double the death rate of prey due to predation and you double the number of births of predators ...

You may not like the model, but that does not make it wrong, it is just a model.

Related to Lotka-Volterra equations mistake

1. What are the Lotka-Volterra equations?

The Lotka-Volterra equations, also known as the predator-prey equations, are a set of mathematical models used to describe the dynamics of predator and prey populations in an ecosystem. They were developed by Alfred Lotka and Vito Volterra in the early 20th century.

2. What is the common mistake made when using the Lotka-Volterra equations?

The most common mistake made when using the Lotka-Volterra equations is assuming that the predator and prey populations will always follow a cyclical pattern, with the predator population lagging behind the prey population. In reality, many other factors can affect the populations and cause them to deviate from this pattern.

3. How can the Lotka-Volterra equations be improved or modified?

There have been various modifications and improvements made to the original Lotka-Volterra equations to make them more accurate and applicable to real-world ecosystems. Some examples include adding additional variables to account for competition between predators, or incorporating environmental factors such as resource availability.

4. What are the limitations of the Lotka-Volterra equations?

The Lotka-Volterra equations are based on a number of simplifying assumptions and do not account for all possible factors that can affect predator-prey dynamics. Therefore, they may not accurately reflect the complexities of real ecosystems. Additionally, the equations may not be applicable to all types of predator-prey relationships.

5. How can the Lotka-Volterra equations be used in real-world applications?

The Lotka-Volterra equations are commonly used in mathematical models to study and predict the dynamics of predator and prey populations in various ecosystems. They can also be used to inform conservation efforts and management strategies for maintaining balanced predator-prey relationships in the wild.