Loss of mechanical energy in a plastic collision

In summary, the conversation is discussing a perfectly plastic collision and its effect on the total mechanical energy of a system. The collision involves two particles of different masses and velocities colliding and forming a new particle. The linear momentum is conserved, but the mechanical energy is not. The participants are trying to find the error in the calculation and discussing the possibility of internal friction or energy conversion into heat. They also bring up the concept of microscopic particles and their effects on energy during collisions.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi all,

Homework Statement

I'm stupefied. In continuation to my last thread (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=277124), I wanted to see if any perfectly plastic collision would make the total mechanical energy of the system go down to a factor of [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt 6}[/tex]. I got a strange result and I know it cannot be possible so there's at least one error. If you could find it out... I'd be grateful.Say you have initially 2 particles in motion. The first one has a mass [tex]m[/tex] and a speed of [tex]v_1[/tex]. Second one has a mass [tex]M[/tex] and a speed of [tex]v_2[/tex].
They collide and after the collision they remain attached. They form a new particle of mass [tex]M+m[/tex] and speed [tex]v_3[/tex]. (I assume speed instead of velocity to simplify but I might be wrong by doing this however).
The linear momentum is conserved. Putting away vectors, I have that [tex]P_i=P_f \Leftrightarrow mv_1+Mv_2=(M+m)v_3 \Leftrightarrow v_3=\frac{mv_1+Mv_2}{M+m}[/tex].
As the mechanical energy is not conserved I still want to find out the energy before and after the collision in order to compare them.
I have that [tex]E_i=\frac{mv_1^2+Mv_2^2}{2}[/tex] while [tex]E_f=\frac{(m+M)v_3^2}{2}=\frac{(mv_1+Mv_2)^2}{2(m+M)}[/tex].
I want to know how much times the initial energy is greater than the final. So [tex]E_i=\alpha E_f \Leftrightarrow \alpha= \frac{mv_1^2+Mv_2^2}{2} \cdot \frac{2(m+M)}{(mv_1+Mv_2)^2}[/tex] by expanding I finally get that [tex]\alpha=\frac{m^2v_1^2+Mmv_2^2+Mmv_1^2+M^2v_2^2}{m^2v_1^2+2mv_1Mv_2+M^2v_2^2}[/tex]. Note that the numerator and the denominator are almost equal, they only differ by the term "[tex]Mm(v_2^2+v_1^2)[/tex]" in the numerator and "[tex]2mv_1Mv_2[/tex]" at the denominator. But if you set [tex]v_1[/tex] and [tex]v_2[/tex] to be [tex]\frac {1m}{s} }[/tex], there are equal and as a consequence the mechanical energy is conserved...which is obviously wrong. Where did I go wrong?
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
V1 and V2 cannot be equal. In that case, they won't collide with each other.
And it is better to wright Ef = alpha*Ei. In that case percentage change in the kinetic energy = Mm( V1 - V2)^2/(M+m)(MV1^2 +mV2^2)
The factor mentioned in the problem leads to 59% loss of energy. For given masses of M and m, depending on V1 and V2 it is possible.

rl.bhat said:
V1 and V2 cannot be equal. In that case, they won't collide with each other.
And it is better to wright Ef = alpha*Ei. In that case percentage change in the kinetic energy = Mm( V1 - V2)^2/(M+m)(MV1^2 +mV2^2)
The factor mentioned in the problem leads to 59% loss of energy. For given masses of M and m, depending on V1 and V2 it is possible.
Hi rl.bhat and thanks for the input.
I don't follow you, how did you reach Mm( V1 - V2)^2/(M+m)(MV1^2 +mV2^2) ?
How do you know it's worth a 59% of loss of mechanical energy? By the way this result confirms my anterior one : [tex]59[/tex]%[tex]=\left( 1-\frac{1}{\sqrt 6} \right)100[/tex]. If I'm not wrong this mean that for any perfectly plastic collision between 2 rigid bodies, the same amount of mechanical energy will convert into heat and as you pointed out it's around 59%. How surprising! But I don't understand HOW does it convert. There's no friction as far as I know nor any force that could produce a negative work. Or maybe there must be friction when they collide in order to get them attached...

There can be internal friction in the materials (atoms/molecules rubbing against each other). Think about the worst case (dropping a bag of rice). Then if the materials are really distorted, you've broken some internal bonds between atoms/molecules... which requires energy...

physics girl phd said:
There can be internal friction in the materials (atoms/molecules rubbing against each other). Think about the worst case (dropping a bag of rice). Then if the materials are really distorted, you've broken some internal bonds between atoms/molecules... which requires energy...
I agree. However if I consider only rigid bodies then the bag of rices is excluded.
I can't print an idea in my head. In case of 2 disks (see the reference of my last thread in post 1), they collide at exactly 1 point so there cannot be some dynamic friction nor even a normal force. They simply stick together and the system loses about 60% of its kinetic energy (or 40%? I'm not sure rl.bhat is right with 59% since he didn't explain how he reached this result). Obviously the energy transform into heat, but HOW is that possible? That's why I can't get it... There is no internal force when they collide in the case of the 2 disks, nor dynamic friction. I don't see any way to convert the energy. I'm really at a loss to understand this.

If the two object collide and stick, isn't there going to be an impulse (change in momentum) and with an impulse applied over some time interval, a force? And when you push any two objects with some temperature together, isn't there going to be microscopic effects at the surfaces causing them to blend together -- in the case of two different rigid metals, an alloy? (In this case, the metal as a perhaps less floppy bag of rice isn't necessarily a bad analogy)

If you're talking about microscopic particles, like atoms of subatomic particles... if they fuse isn't there energy stored in some form of the binding forces?

physics girl phd said:
If the two object collide and stick, isn't there going to be an impulse (change in momentum) and with an impulse applied over some time interval, a force? And when you push any two objects with some temperature together, isn't there going to be microscopic effects at the surfaces causing them to blend together -- in the case of two different rigid metals, an alloy? (In this case, the metal as a perhaps less floppy bag of rice isn't necessarily a bad analogy)

If you're talking about microscopic particles, like atoms of subatomic particles... if they fuse isn't there energy stored in some form of the binding forces?
Thank you for your answer. Okay, I see I cannot approach the problem in a simple way. I mean by that by considering rigid bodies as "perfect rigid bodies" which in fact don't exist. And ok, I must consider internal forces in order to understand how this work.
I feel confused about what I'm learning. I don't know if it's me or if it's because of non possible situations (2 disks stick together instantly after being in contact. It cannot be instantly in reality I think. Because if it's instantly then any force acting on the system doesn't have time to change the momentum or to do a negative work so that some mechanical energy is transformed).

I got the expression by using (Ei-Ef)/Ei*100
I got 59% from the factor given in the problem. Depending upon the velocities of the objects that much loss of KE is possible.

Related to Loss of mechanical energy in a plastic collision

1. What is loss of mechanical energy in a plastic collision?

The loss of mechanical energy in a plastic collision refers to the decrease in total energy in a system after a collision that results in permanent deformation of the objects involved. This energy is lost in the form of heat and sound.

2. What causes loss of mechanical energy in a plastic collision?

Loss of mechanical energy in a plastic collision is caused by the inelastic behavior of objects involved in the collision. This means that the objects do not return to their original shape after the collision and some of the energy is converted into heat and sound.

3. How is the amount of energy lost in a plastic collision calculated?

The amount of energy lost in a plastic collision can be calculated by subtracting the final kinetic energy of the objects from the initial kinetic energy. The difference between these two values is the amount of energy that was lost during the collision.

4. Can the loss of mechanical energy in a plastic collision be prevented?

In a perfectly elastic collision, there is no loss of mechanical energy. However, in a real-world scenario, it is difficult to completely prevent the loss of mechanical energy in a plastic collision. This can be minimized by using materials with higher elasticity and reducing the impact force.

5. How does the loss of mechanical energy in a plastic collision affect real-life applications?

The loss of mechanical energy in a plastic collision can have significant effects on real-life applications, especially in industries such as transportation and construction. It can lead to damage and deformation of structures and vehicles, resulting in increased maintenance costs and safety hazards.