'losing light' 1.25" DSLR coupling vs 2"?

In summary, the smaller the diameter of the light path near the sensor, the greater the chance that the light will be attenuated and you will see vignetting in the image. Using a 2" coupling to mount your DSLR on the scope may reduce the chance of losing light, but may also require using a mirror to see the image.
mishima
I use a 2" coupling to mount my DSLR on the scope. However, I have an 90 degree mirror angle in the 1.25" size, and would like to use it sometimes for convenience getting my eye on the viewfinder/lcd screen.

I was wondering what drawbacks, if any, there were in stepping down the diameter of the light path so close to the sensor might be. Am I going to 'clip' the light path with the smaller diameter and lose light? I've heard most modern scopes are designed for 1.25" so maybe it doesn't matter?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
mishima said:
I was wondering what drawbacks, if any, there were in stepping down the diameter of the light path so close to the sensor might be. Am I going to 'clip' the light path with the smaller diameter and lose light? I've heard most modern scopes are designed for 1.25" so maybe it doesn't matter?
The imaging chip of a DSLR is usually quite large, at least compared with cameras specially made for astrophotography. It is quite possible that the light will become attenuated near the edge of the cameras FOV. You will see this as vignetting in the image.

Thanks, I'll just try it then and look for the vignetting.

mishima said:
I use a 2" coupling to mount my DSLR on the scope. However, I have an 90 degree mirror angle in the 1.25" size, and would like to use it sometimes for convenience getting my eye on the viewfinder/lcd screen.

Would it be a daft suggestion for you to use the camera 'straight through' and tape a mirror at 45° to the back so you can see the live view picture without cricking your neck?
I only recently came to astrophotography and needed a decent DSLR for it (the old one had more hot pixels than cool ones!). The Pentax K2s comes with a screen on a universal support so you can look at the live view from any angle. It was a nice surprise as I just hadn't thought of that when I bought the camera.

Hmm, I suppose I could rig up something like that. I guess I was really just curious if there was indeed some effect. It was too cloudy to mess with it last night.

My camera is an old Canon EOS 20d, it doesn't even have live view (20dA was first for that I think). I use the viewfinder for centering and then trial and error with the LCD for focus.

One thing I learned during the eclipse though was that if you connect it to a TV through composite, it uses the TV to display the image you just took. I bought a little 5V 7" LCD screen for 30 dollars (the original screen on the 20d is something like 1.5"). I'm hoping when that arrives it will make the experience less bone crunching.

I've also seen that Canon sells a 90 attachment for the viewfinder itself:
Hoodman_RAV.jpg

It's really not easy to use an optical viewfinder when you really need it in the dark. I'd bet you could afford another camera for the cost of a fancy Canon bolt - on (well, almost)
Many cameras will interface with a smart phone and give you a live view. I have one on mine which works pretty well. It doesn't do all the controls but it can be useful at times.

Related to 'losing light' 1.25" DSLR coupling vs 2"?

1. What is the difference between a 1.25" DSLR coupling and a 2" coupling?

A 1.25" DSLR coupling is a smaller size that is typically used for entry-level or budget-friendly telescopes, while a 2" coupling is a larger size that is typically used for higher-end telescopes.

2. Can I use a 1.25" DSLR coupling on a telescope that has a 2" focuser?

Yes, you can use a 1.25" DSLR coupling on a telescope that has a 2" focuser, but you will need an adapter to convert the size.

3. Is there a difference in image quality between a 1.25" and 2" DSLR coupling?

The size of the coupling does not necessarily affect image quality, but a larger coupling may allow for more light to enter the telescope and potentially produce brighter images. However, the overall quality of the telescope and camera will also play a significant role in image quality.

4. Are there any advantages to using a 1.25" DSLR coupling over a 2" coupling?

One advantage of using a 1.25" DSLR coupling is that it is typically more affordable and may be compatible with a wider range of telescopes. Additionally, if you are using a smaller telescope, the 1.25" coupling may be a better fit and provide more stability for your camera.

5. How do I know which size DSLR coupling is best for my telescope?

The size of your DSLR coupling depends on the size of your telescope's focuser. If your telescope has a 1.25" focuser, then a 1.25" DSLR coupling is recommended. If your telescope has a 2" focuser, then a 2" coupling is recommended. It is always best to check the specifications of your telescope before purchasing a coupling.