Lorentzian line shape integration

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion about an integral related to a Lorentzian function and its convergence. The experts clarify the correct expression and provide further explanation on the integral's behavior at infinity and its relation to the Heaviside step function.
Josh1079
Hi,
I know this might be a bit dum but I'm currently stuck with this integral.
In this link: http://www.pci.tu-bs.de/aggericke/PC4e/Kap_III/Linienbreite.htm

I know he's doing the right thing, but I really don't understand the integral of a(omega).
How come it is E(1/(i(ω-ω0) -γ) - 1/(i(ω+ω0) +γ))?
Does it even converge?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Note it's not ##a(\omega)## that is integrated, but ##|a(\omega)|^2##. A Lorentzian is essentially of the form ##1\over 1+x^2## and normalizable.

Unless you wonder how the (complex) ##a(\omega)## itself is found. That is with the ##E(t)## at the top of the section. Write it out and see.

Note that:
(1) There is a typo in the expression for ##\alpha(\omega)## - it should be ##E_{0}## instead of ##E##
(2) ##E(t)## is not given by the first expression for all time - the excitation only happens at ##t = 0##.

Thanks for the replies and corrections.

I've written the integral down, but I mean I don't really understand how the result came out. As it appears to me, at t = inf, it will be 0, and at t = -inf, it will blow up.

I mean isn't it like this: ∫ exp(-γt + i(ω0 - ω)t)dt = 1/(-γ + i(ω0 - ω)) * exp(-γt + i(ω0 - ω)t) at t = inf and -inf

Fightfish, do you mean that the integral should start from 0 rather than -inf?

Josh1079 said:
Fightfish, do you mean that the integral should start from 0 rather than -inf?
Or more precisely,
[tex]
E(t) = \left [ E_{0} e^{-\gamma t} e^{i \omega_{0} t} + \mathrm{c.c.} \right] \theta (t),
[/tex]
where ##\theta(t)## is the Heaviside step function.

Likes BvU
Thank you for the clarification!

This makes good sense. The negative range of the integral is indeed pretty peculiar.

Related to Lorentzian line shape integration

What is Lorentzian line shape integration?

Lorentzian line shape integration is a mathematical technique used to analyze and interpret spectra, particularly in spectroscopy. It is based on the Lorentzian line shape equation, which describes the shape of a spectral line in terms of its amplitude, peak position, and width.

What is the purpose of Lorentzian line shape integration?

The purpose of Lorentzian line shape integration is to accurately determine the parameters of a spectral line, such as its amplitude, peak position, and width. This can provide valuable information about the chemical and physical properties of a substance or sample being studied.

How is Lorentzian line shape integration performed?

Lorentzian line shape integration is typically performed using software programs or specialized algorithms. The process involves fitting a Lorentzian line shape equation to a spectral peak, which is achieved by varying the parameters until the best fit is achieved. This can be a complex and time-consuming process, but it is essential for accurate analysis.

What are the advantages of using Lorentzian line shape integration?

One of the main advantages of Lorentzian line shape integration is its ability to accurately determine the parameters of a spectral line, even in the presence of noise or overlapping peaks. This makes it a valuable tool for analyzing complex spectra and identifying unknown substances.

Are there any limitations to Lorentzian line shape integration?

Like any analytical technique, there are limitations to Lorentzian line shape integration. It works best for well-resolved spectral peaks and may struggle with highly overlapping peaks or complex spectra. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the data and the assumptions made during the analysis.