Lorentz transformation & relativistic momentum

In summary: The transformation law for p^\mu is given by:\begin{pmatrix}\overline{p}^0 \\ \overline{p}^1 \\ \overline{p}^2 \\ \overline{p}^3 \end{pmatrix}where \overline{p}^0, \overline{p}^1, \overline{p}^2, and \overline{p}^3 are the p^\mu values in respective reference frames. The gamma factor is given by:\begin{pmatrix}\gamma & -\gamma \beta & 0 & 0 \\
EsmeeDijk

Homework Statement

We now specify the velocity v to be along the positive x1-direction in S and of magnitude v. We also consider a frame [itex] \overline{S} [/itex] which moves at speed u with respect to S in the positive x1-direction.

question 1 : Write down the transformation law for [itex] p^\mu [/itex].
question 2: Write [itex] \overline{p} ^\mu [/itex] also in terms of the speed [itex] \overline{v} [/itex] and its corresponding gamma factor.

For the first question I got the following answer which I believe is right:
[itex] \begin{pmatrix}
\overline{p}^0 \\ \overline{p}^1 \\ \overline{p}^2 \\ \overline{p}^3 \end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix} \gamma & -\gamma \beta & 0 & 0 \\
- \gamma \beta & \gamma & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} p^0 \\ p^1 \\ p^2 \\ p^3 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
[itex] \overline{p}^0 = \gamma (p^0 - \beta p^1) [/itex] (1)
[itex] \overline{p}^1 = \gamma (p^1 - \beta p^0) [/itex] (2)
[itex] \overline{p}^2 = p^2 [/itex] (3)
[itex] \overline{p}^3 = p^3 [/itex] (4)
[itex] \overline{p}^\mu = \Lambda ^\mu _\nu p^\nu [/itex] (5)

Homework Equations

[itex] \textbf{p} = m\eta = \frac{ m \eta}{\sqrt{1 - u^2/c^2}} [/itex] (6)
[itex] p^0 = m \eta ^0 = \frac{ mc}{\sqrt{ 1 - u^2/c^2}} [/itex] (7)
[itex] p^\mu p_\mu = -(p^0)^2 + ( \textbf{p} \bullet \textbf{p}) = -m^2c^2 [/itex] (8)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I believe I have to substitute equation 7 for p0 in equation 1/2
and equation 6 for p1/2/3 in equation 1-4
The only problem now is that equations 6 and 7 assume a certain u2 but I need to get something expressed in [itex] \overline{v}[/itex]. According to my textbook u in equation 6/7 is :the velocity of a traveling object of mass m .
To me it sounds like this means that I can replace all the u's by
[itex] \overline{v}[/itex]'s.
But I already know that in the next question I need to get something expressed in [itex] \overline{v}[/itex], [itex] v[/itex] and [itex] u [/itex]. So maybe that probably means that my theory of how to substitute the u's is wrong.

Of course we can also use Einstein's velocity addition law: [itex] \overline{u} = \frac{u - v}{ 1 - uv/c^2} [/itex] where [itex] \overline{u} [/itex] is the velocity between the two reference frames.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the equations (1) and (2), can you write the expression of [itex]\gamma[/itex] in terms of velocity?

Related to Lorentz transformation & relativistic momentum

1. What is the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical equation used in the theory of special relativity to describe how measurements of space and time change in different reference frames. It allows for the transformation of coordinates and time measurements between two frames of reference that are moving relative to each other at constant velocities.

2. How does the Lorentz transformation affect time and space measurements?

The Lorentz transformation shows that time and space measurements are relative and can change depending on the observer's frame of reference. This means that different observers moving at different velocities will measure different lengths and durations of events in the same space-time.

3. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in the theory of special relativity that describes the momentum of an object moving at high velocities. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which cause the mass and velocity of an object to appear different to observers in different frames of reference.

4. How is relativistic momentum calculated?

The formula for relativistic momentum is p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where p is the momentum, m is the rest mass of the object, v is the velocity, and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the effects of special relativity and is used to calculate an object's momentum at high velocities.

5. What are the practical applications of Lorentz transformation and relativistic momentum?

The Lorentz transformation and relativistic momentum have many practical applications, including in the fields of particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. They are used to understand and predict the behavior of particles at high speeds, as well as to design and calibrate devices such as particle accelerators and GPS systems. They also play a crucial role in the development of theories such as the Standard Model and Einstein's theory of general relativity.