Lorentz Transformation: R_2=R_1^{-1}?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Lorentz transformations for different relative velocities and space rotations. It is stated that L_u can be expressed as R_2 L_w R_1, where R_2 and R_1 are space rotations and R_1 is such that the direction of u and x_1 are the same. The question is raised if R_2 is equal to the inverse of R_1 under these circumstances, and it is concluded that the answer is yes. This is supported by verifying specific cases and the arbitrariness of the choice of the 1-2 plane. The conversation also addresses potential issues with using LaTeX for writing.
facenian
Let L_w be a Lorentz transformation between to systems that coincide at t=0(paralell axes assumed) and with relative velocity w along x_1. If L_u is the Lorentz transformation when the relative velocity u is in any direcction then we have that L_u=R_2 L_w R_1 where R_2 and R_1 are sapce rotations, R_1 is such that the direction of u and x_1 are the same.
My question is: is it correct that under this circuntances R_2=R_1^{-1}?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer is yes. It seems straightforward to verify that it holds for the case where u lies along x_2, i.e., the case where the angle theta between the w and u vectors is pi/2. Also, if it holds for rotations by theta in the 1-2 plane, then it also holds for 2theta. The combination of these two facts makes me think that it holds for any rotation in the 1-2 plane, and since the choice of the 1-2 plane is arbitrary, I think it has to hold for any rotation.

[When I previewed the post above, I saw some of the math rendered incorrectly. The first reference to theta is rendered by some other, unrelated math, (1-epsilon)c. I remember that this is a known bug in the software used by PF, but I don't remember if there is any way to fix it.]

[Later edit: it now seems to be rendered correctly.]

[Gah, now it's rendering incorrectly again, after I made another edit. I'll just remove all the math.]

yes there seems to problems when you write in latex that's why I don't use it anymore. Thank you for your answer

Related to Lorentz Transformation: R_2=R_1^{-1}?

1. What is the Lorentz transformation and why is it important in physics?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between space and time in special relativity. It is important in physics because it allows us to understand how measurements of time and space can change for different observers moving at different speeds.

2. What is the difference between R1 and R2 in the Lorentz transformation?

R1 represents the frame of reference of the stationary observer, while R2 represents the frame of reference of the moving observer. The Lorentz transformation allows us to convert measurements between these two frames of reference.

3. Why is the inverse of the Lorentz transformation denoted as R1-1?

The inverse of a transformation reverses the effects of the original transformation. In the case of the Lorentz transformation, R1-1 represents the transformation from the frame of reference of the moving observer back to the frame of reference of the stationary observer.

4. How does the Lorentz transformation account for the effects of relativity on measurements of time and space?

The Lorentz transformation includes a factor of the Lorentz factor, which takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity. This allows for accurate measurements to be made in different frames of reference.

5. Can the Lorentz transformation be applied to objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light?

Yes, the Lorentz transformation can be applied to objects moving at any speed, including speeds close to the speed of light. In fact, it is necessary to use the Lorentz transformation in order to accurately describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.