Lorentz transformation of a scalar field

In summary: All right, so ##\partial_{\mu}(\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x)) = \frac{\partial(\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x))}{\partial x^{\mu}}## because only ##\phi## is a function of ##\Lambda^{-1}x##.But then, ##(\partial_{\nu}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x) = \frac{\partial \phi(\Lambda^{-1}x)}{\partial (\Lambda^{-1}x)^{\nu}}##, all of ##\partial_{\nu} \phi## is a function of ##(\L
spaghetti3451
Hi, the following is taken from Peskin and Schroeder page 36:

##\partial_{\mu}\phi(x) \rightarrow \partial_{\mu}(\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x)) = (\Lambda^{-1})^{\nu}_{\mu}(\partial_{\nu}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)##

It describes the transformation law for a scalar field ##\phi(x)## for an active transformation.

I would like to work out the intermediate steps by myself as they are missing from the textbook. Can you please correct any mistakes I make?

##\partial_{\mu}\phi(x) \rightarrow \partial_{\mu}(\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x)) = \frac{\partial(\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x))}{\partial x^{\mu}} = \frac{\partial (\Lambda^{-1}x)^{\nu}}{\partial x^{\mu}} \frac{\partial \phi((\Lambda^{-1}x))}{\partial (\Lambda^{-1}x)^{\nu}} = (\Lambda^{-1})^{\nu}_{\mu}(\partial_{\nu}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)##.

Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
Hi, the following is taken from Peskin and Schroeder page 36:

##\partial_{\mu}\phi(x) \rightarrow \partial_{\mu}(\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x)) = (\Lambda^{-1})^{\nu}_{\mu}(\partial_{\nu}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)##

It describes the transformation law for a scalar field ##\phi(x)## for an active transformation.

I would like to work out the intermediate steps by myself as they are missing from the textbook. Can you please correct any mistakes I make?

##\partial_{\mu}\phi(x) \rightarrow \partial_{\mu}(\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x)) = \frac{\partial(\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x))}{\partial x^{\mu}} = \frac{\partial (\Lambda^{-1}x)^{\nu}}{\partial x^{\mu}} \frac{\partial \phi((\Lambda^{-1}x))}{\partial (\Lambda^{-1}x)^{\nu}} = (\Lambda^{-1})^{\nu}_{\mu}(\partial_{\nu}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)##.

Am I correct?
Yes. Personally I find this convention very confusing; a scalar transforms under x --> x' as

##
\phi(x) \rightarrow \phi'(x')
##
So
##
\partial_{\mu} \phi(x) \rightarrow \partial'_{\mu} \phi'(x') = \frac{\partial x^{\rho}}{\partial x^{'\mu}} \partial_{\rho} \phi'(x')
##

But whatever suits you, of course; I guess it comes down to the 'passive v.s. active'-discussion.

All right, so ##\partial_{\mu}(\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x)) = \frac{\partial(\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x))}{\partial x^{\mu}}## because only ##\phi## is a function of ##\Lambda^{-1}x##.

But then, ##(\partial_{\nu}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x) = \frac{\partial \phi(\Lambda^{-1}x)}{\partial (\Lambda^{-1}x)^{\nu}}##, all of ##\partial_{\nu} \phi## is a function of ##(\Lambda^{-1}x)##.

Am I correct?

Was your computation from the passive point of view?

I use x- primes for your Lamda-x. And yes, my approach is usually called the passive one.

Related to Lorentz transformation of a scalar field

1. What is the Lorentz transformation of a scalar field?

The Lorentz transformation of a scalar field is a mathematical formula used to describe how a scalar field (a physical quantity that only has magnitude and no direction) changes under a change of reference frame in special relativity. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is the Lorentz transformation of a scalar field derived?

The Lorentz transformation of a scalar field is derived from the Lorentz transformation equations, which were first proposed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in 1904. These equations were later modified and expanded upon by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity.

3. Can the Lorentz transformation of a scalar field be applied to any physical quantity?

Yes, the Lorentz transformation of a scalar field can be applied to any physical quantity that is considered a scalar, such as temperature, pressure, or electric potential. It cannot be applied to vector quantities, which have both magnitude and direction.

4. What is the significance of the Lorentz transformation of a scalar field in physics?

The Lorentz transformation of a scalar field is significant in physics because it is a fundamental concept in special relativity, which is a crucial theory for understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. It allows us to accurately describe how physical quantities change in different reference frames, which is essential for many modern technologies, such as GPS systems and particle accelerators.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lorentz transformation of a scalar field?

One limitation of the Lorentz transformation of a scalar field is that it only applies to objects moving at constant velocities. It cannot accurately describe the behavior of objects accelerating or decelerating. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of gravity, which are described by the more comprehensive theory of general relativity.