Lorentz Transformation in Bjorken & Drell QFT

In summary, the formula (14.25) in B&J QFT involves an infinitesimal Lorentz transformation with a unitary operator U that generates the transformation. The transformation is done in the radiation gauge, with A0=0 and ∂iAi=0. The infinitesimal parameter ε is related to the Lorentz transformation Λ, and the unitary operator is given by U(ε)=1−i2εμνMμν. The gauge term is necessary to account for the vanishing of UA0U−1=0 and the lack of conjugate momenta for A0. The formula involves transforming both the function and its argument simultaneously, which can be tricky to do.
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

[/B]
I'm trying to derive (14.25) in B&J QFT. This is

##U(\epsilon)A^\mu(x)U^{-1}(\epsilon) = A^\mu(x') - \epsilon^{\mu\nu}A_\nu(x') + \frac{\partial \lambda(x',\epsilon)}{\partial x'_\mu}##, where ##\lambda(x',\epsilon)## is an operator gauge function.

This is all being done in the radiation gauge, i.e. ##A_0 = 0## and ##\partial_i A^i=0##, with ##i \in {1,2,3}##.

##\epsilon## is an infinitesimal parameter of a Lorentz transformation ##\Lambda##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\epsilon## is an infinitesimal parameter of a Lorentz transformation ##\Lambda##.

Under this transformation, ##A^\mu(x) \rightarrow A'^\mu(x')=U(\epsilon)A^\mu(x)U^{-1}(\epsilon)##.

The unitary operator ##U## which generates the infinitesimal Lorentz transformation

##x^{\mu} \rightarrow x'^{\mu} = x^{\mu} + \epsilon^{\mu}_{\nu}x^{\nu}## is

##U(\epsilon)=1 - \frac{i}{2}\epsilon_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu}##

where ##M## are the generators of Lorentz transformations. (I guess really I should have ##M^{\mu\nu}=(M^{\rho\sigma})^{\mu\nu}##. M is a hermitian operator, so

##U^{-1}(\epsilon)=1 + \frac{i}{2}\epsilon_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu}##

Now I tried writing out ##U(\epsilon)A^\mu(x)U^{-1}(\epsilon)## explicitly but it didn't really get me anywhere. The answer is supposed to have ##x'## as the argument of ##A^\mu## on the RHS but I only get ##x##. I'm not sure how to Lorentz transform the function and the argument at the same time.
Underneath the formula in B&J it says the gauge term is necessary because ##UA_0U^{-1}=0## since ##A_0=0##. I don't see why this warrants the need of a gauge term.

Edit: Oh wait, it's needed because otherwise there will be no conjugate momenta for the ##A_0##. Okay I get that, but still don't understand where the initial formula comes from.

Last edited:
bump

Related to Lorentz Transformation in Bjorken & Drell QFT

1. What is Lorentz Transformation in Bjorken & Drell QFT?

Lorentz Transformation in Bjorken & Drell QFT is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to describe the transformation of coordinates and quantities between frames of reference moving at constant velocities relative to each other. It is based on the principles of special relativity and is essential in understanding the behavior of particles and fields in high-energy physics.

2. Why is Lorentz Transformation important in Bjorken & Drell QFT?

Lorentz Transformation is important in Bjorken & Drell QFT because it allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of particles and fields at high energies, where the effects of special relativity become significant. It also helps us to unify the laws of electricity and magnetism with the laws of motion, leading to a more comprehensive understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.

3. How does Lorentz Transformation relate to special relativity?

Lorentz Transformation is a fundamental concept in special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference. It describes how coordinates and quantities such as time, length, and momentum change when observed from different frames of reference moving at constant velocities relative to each other. Lorentz Transformation helps us to reconcile the apparent differences in measurements between frames of reference and maintain the principle of relativity.

4. Can Lorentz Transformation be applied to all particles and fields in Bjorken & Drell QFT?

Yes, Lorentz Transformation can be applied to all particles and fields in Bjorken & Drell QFT. This is because it is a fundamental concept in special relativity, which is a cornerstone of modern physics and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments. Lorentz Transformation is essential in accurately describing the behavior of particles and fields at high energies, which is the focus of Bjorken & Drell QFT.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions to Lorentz Transformation in Bjorken & Drell QFT?

While Lorentz Transformation is a powerful and well-established tool in Bjorken & Drell QFT, it does have some limitations and assumptions. For instance, it assumes that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference, which may not be the case in extreme situations such as near black holes. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of gravity, which requires a more complex mathematical framework. However, for most applications in high-energy physics, Lorentz Transformation is a highly accurate and reliable tool.