Lorentz transform on the Dirac equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a Lorentz transformation preserves the sign of the energy in a solution to the Dirac equation. The approach involves choosing a positive energy solution and applying a Lorentz transformation to it, checking that the transformed function is also a solution with positive energy. This may require expanding the energy solution before applying the transformation. Alternatively, the momentum can be considered as a 4-vector and the transformation can be applied directly to it.
Bill Foster

Homework Statement

Show that a Lorentz transformation preserves the sign of the energy of a solution to the Dirac equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to approach this.

So I apply the Lorentz transform to the Dirac equation, and work through it to obtain the energy solutions?

Or do I apply the Lorentz transform to the energy solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You choose a positive energy solution of the equation, apply Lorentz transformation to the solution (The Lorentz transformation can be even infinitesimal, because you can argue from there) and check that the transformed function is again a solution with positive energy.

arkajad said:
You choose a positive energy solution of the equation, apply Lorentz transformation to the solution (The Lorentz transformation can be even infinitesimal, because you can argue from there) and check that the transformed function is again a solution with positive energy.

Since the energy solution contains a square root of the momentum (and the Lorentz transform acts on the momentum), I need to expand the function first before applying the Lorentz transform?

Well, I am assuming that you went through the exercise of checking in all details that when you apply Lorentz transformation to a solution, you will get another solution. So, you have the formula of the transformed solution. Do you?

The energy solutions to the Dirac equation are

[tex]E=\pm\sqrt{p^2+m^2}[/tex]

So I apply a Lorentz transform to that. But first, I need to expand it, right?

[tex]\sqrt{p^2+m^2}=m\left(1+\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{p}{m}\right)^2-\frac{1}{8}\left(\frac{p}{m}\right)^4+\frac{1}{16}\left(\frac{p}{m}\right)^6...\right)[/tex]

Or...do I just consider the momentum as a 4-vector: 4-momentum...

[tex]\left[E, \vec{p}\right][/tex]

and apply the Lorentz transform to that?

Related to Lorentz transform on the Dirac equation

1. What is the Lorentz transform on the Dirac equation?

The Lorentz transform on the Dirac equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the Dirac equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions, changes under a Lorentz transformation. This transformation is used to calculate how the equations of motion for particles change when viewed from different reference frames in special relativity.

2. Why is the Lorentz transform important in the study of the Dirac equation?

The Lorentz transform is important in the study of the Dirac equation because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles that travel at speeds close to the speed of light. It is also a key component in the development of quantum field theory, which is used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

3. How does the Lorentz transform affect the solutions of the Dirac equation?

The Lorentz transform affects the solutions of the Dirac equation by changing the coefficients and variables in the equation. This results in a new set of solutions that describe the behavior of particles in a different reference frame. The transformed solutions still satisfy the Dirac equation and accurately describe the behavior of particles in the new reference frame.

4. Can the Lorentz transform be applied to other equations in physics?

Yes, the Lorentz transform can be applied to other equations in physics, such as the Maxwell equations for electromagnetism. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity and is used to describe the behavior of all physical laws and equations in different reference frames.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Lorentz transform on the Dirac equation?

There are some limitations to the use of the Lorentz transform on the Dirac equation, particularly when dealing with very high energies or extreme situations such as black holes. In these cases, the equations may need to be modified to account for the effects of general relativity. However, the Lorentz transform remains a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of particles in most situations.