Lorentz transform for momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Lorentz transformation for the x component of momentum, using the given Lorentz transformation for velocity. The approach taken involves using the fact that Px = γm0ux and manipulating it, but there is difficulty in showing that the final answer is equal to 1. The conversation also highlights the importance of considering γ's dependence on speed in the transformation.
insynC

Homework Statement

Derive the Lorentz transformation for the x component of momentum, i.e.

Px' = [tex]\gamma[/tex] (Px - vE/(c[tex]^{}2[/tex]))

I've used Px = x component of momentum (not very good with latex, sorry!)

Homework Equations

I thought the best place to start was the Lorentz transformation for velocity (which was given):

ux' = [ux - v] / [1 + v ux/(c[tex]^{}2[/tex])]

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying this, I used the fact Px = [tex]\gamma[/tex] m0 ux - where m0 is rest mass - and then fiddled around with it.

I was able to almost get the answer, except on the RHS I got what is required multiplied by a factor of:

1 / [ [tex]\gamma[/tex] - [tex]\gamma[/tex] ux v /(c[tex]^{}2[/tex]) ]

Unfortunately I couldn't show this was equal to 1 and am not even convinced it is. Was the approach I took the easiest way to the answer? I've tried it again and got the same problem, so maybe there is a better way to tackle it.

Physics news on Phys.org
insynC said:
Applying this, I used the fact Px = [tex]\gamma[/tex] m0 ux - where m0 is rest mass - and then fiddled around with it.

Hi insynC! :smile:

(have a gamma: γ)

(and use the X2 tag just above the reply field: Px :wink:)

I'm not sure that you used γ's dependence on speed:

Px = γ(u)ux , Px' = γ(v)vx

Good point, I hadn't taken that into consideration.

I have to now introduce γ(ux') and γ(ux), but ultimately the answer has a γ(v) in it. I'm struggling to remove the excess γ's introduced to convert the velocity transform into the momentum transform.

Related to Lorentz transform for momentum

1. What is the Lorentz transform for momentum?

The Lorentz transform for momentum is a mathematical equation that relates the momentum of an object in one frame of reference to its momentum in another frame of reference. It is a key component of Einstein's theory of special relativity and is used to describe how momentum changes as an object moves at speeds approaching the speed of light.

2. How is the Lorentz transform for momentum derived?

The Lorentz transform for momentum is derived from the Lorentz transformation, which is a set of equations that describe how space and time coordinates change between two inertial frames of reference. The transformation for momentum is derived by applying the principles of special relativity to the conservation of momentum in a moving system.

3. What are the variables in the Lorentz transform for momentum?

The variables in the Lorentz transform for momentum are the object's momentum in the original frame of reference (p), the object's velocity in the original frame of reference (v), the speed of light (c), and the Lorentz factor (γ), which is equal to 1/sqrt(1-v²/c²). These variables are used to calculate the momentum of the object in the new frame of reference.

4. How does the Lorentz transform for momentum affect our understanding of momentum?

The Lorentz transform for momentum challenges our traditional understanding of momentum, which states that momentum is conserved in all frames of reference. Instead, the Lorentz transform shows that momentum is relative to the observer and can change as the object's velocity approaches the speed of light. It also helps explain phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

5. What are some applications of the Lorentz transform for momentum?

The Lorentz transform for momentum has many practical applications in modern physics, including in particle accelerators, astrophysics, and nuclear reactions. It is also used in the development of technologies such as GPS and atomic clocks, which rely on precise measurements of time and space that are affected by the Lorentz transformation.