Lorentz tranformation of law of reflection

In summary, the wall has a gentler slope and the incident angle decreases and the reflected angle increases with the increase of the velocity of the frame ##S'##.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Consider an inertial frame ##S## with coordinates ##x^{\mu}=(t,x,y,z)##, and a frame ##S'## with coordinates ##x^{\mu'}## related to ##S## by a boost with velocity parameter ##v## along the ##y##-axis. Imagine we have a wall at rest in ##S'##, lying along the line ##x'=-y'##. From the point of view of ##S##, what is the relationship between the incident angle of a ball hitting the wall (travelling in the ##x##-##y## plane) and the reflected angle? What about the velocity before and after?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the point of view of ##S'##, the incident angle equals the reflected angle.

The frame ##S'## travels parallel to the ##y##-axis of the frame ##S##. Therefore, ##y'=-x' \implies \gamma\ y = - x##.

Therefore, from the point of view of the ##S## frame, the wall has a gentler slope (i.e., slope of smaller magnitude).

Will the trajectories also change their directions in the ##S## frame?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that the wall has a gentler slope in the ##S## frame is a true fact. However, I think that it is not of much use in solving the problem. It can, however, help in developing a feel for how the wall and the trajectories of the incident and the reflected particles appear from the ##S## frame. In particular, I think that, in the ##S## frame, (due to Lorentz contraction only along the ##y##-direction, and no Lorentz contraction along the ##x##- direction) the incident angle decreases and the reflected angle increases (with respect to the Lorentz-transformed normal to the wall) with the increase of the velocity of the ##S'## frame. This is illustrated in the figure below.

IMAG0115.jpg

My additional progress with the problem so far:

IMAG0117.jpg

Using the figure above,

##1 = \text{tan}\ 45^{\circ} = \text{tan}\ \phi'_{i}=\frac{Y'_{i}}{X'_{i}}=\frac{\gamma\ Y_{i}}{X_{i}}=\gamma\ \text{tan}\ \phi_{i}## so that ##\text{tan}\ \phi_{i}=\frac{1}{\gamma}##

and

##1 = \text{tan}\ 45^{\circ} = \text{tan}\ \phi'_{f}=\frac{X'_{f}}{Y'_{f}}=\frac{X_{f}}{\gamma\ Y_{f}}=\frac{1}{\gamma}\ \text{tan}\ \phi_{f}## so that ##\text{tan}\ \phi_{f}=\gamma##.

IMAG0127.jpg

Furthermore, using the figure above,

##\text{tan}\ (\phi'_{i}-\theta'_{i})=\frac{y'_{i}}{x'_{i}}=\frac{\gamma\ y_{i}}{x_{i}}=\gamma\ \text{tan}\ (\phi_{i}-\theta_{i})##

and

##\text{tan}\ (\phi'_{f}-\theta'_{f})=\frac{x'_{f}}{y'_{f}}=\frac{x_{f}}{\gamma\ y_{f}}=\frac{1}{\gamma}\ \text{tan}\ (\phi_{f}-\theta_{f})##

so that

##\text{tan}\ (\phi'_{i}-\theta'_{i})=\text{tan}\ (\phi'_{f}-\theta'_{f})##

##\implies \gamma\ \text{tan}\ (\phi_{i}-\theta_{i}) = \frac{1}{\gamma}\ \text{tan}\ (\phi_{f}-\theta_{f})##

##\implies \gamma^{2}\ \frac{\text{tan}\ \phi_{i}-\text{tan}\ \theta_{i}}{1+\text{tan}\ \phi_{i}\text{tan}\ \theta_{i}}=\frac{\text{tan}\ \phi_{f}-\text{tan}\ \theta_{f}}{1+\text{tan}\ \phi_{f}\text{tan}\ \theta_{f}}##

##\implies \gamma^{2}\ \frac{\frac{1}{\gamma} - \text{tan}\ \theta_{i}}{1+\frac{1}{\gamma}\text{tan}\ \theta_{i}}=\frac{\gamma-\text{tan}\ \theta_{f}}{1+\gamma\ \text{tan}\ \theta_{f}}##

##\implies \gamma^{2}\ \frac{1- \gamma\ \text{tan}\ \theta_{i}}{\gamma +\text{tan}\ \theta_{i}}=\frac{\gamma-\text{tan}\ \theta_{f}}{1+\gamma\ \text{tan}\ \theta_{f}}##

Am I doing ok? Am I heavy weather out of a simple problem?

Related to Lorentz tranformation of law of reflection

1. What is the Lorentz transformation of the law of reflection?

The Lorentz transformation of the law of reflection is a mathematical formula that describes how the angle of incidence and angle of reflection of a light ray change when observed from different reference frames in special relativity. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the speed of light.

2. Why is the Lorentz transformation of the law of reflection important?

This transformation is important because it allows us to understand how light behaves in different reference frames in special relativity. It helps us to reconcile the laws of physics with the fact that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

3. How does the Lorentz transformation affect the angle of incidence and reflection?

The Lorentz transformation affects the angle of incidence and reflection by changing their values relative to different reference frames. This means that an observer moving at a high velocity relative to a light source will measure different angles of incidence and reflection than an observer at rest.

4. Does the Lorentz transformation of the law of reflection apply to all types of light?

Yes, the Lorentz transformation applies to all types of light, including visible light, radio waves, and gamma rays. This is because the speed of light is constant for all types of electromagnetic radiation, and therefore the transformation is necessary to accurately describe their behavior in different reference frames.

5. How is the Lorentz transformation of the law of reflection derived?

The Lorentz transformation of the law of reflection is derived from the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers moving at constant velocities. By applying the principles of time dilation and length contraction, the transformation can be derived mathematically to account for the differences in the angles of incidence and reflection observed by different reference frames.