Lorentz Invariant Paths in Spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lorentz transformation and its properties in relation to a particle trajectory. The trajectory, represented by the equation x^2 - c^2t^2 = a^2, is Lorentz invariant, meaning it remains unchanged after being subjected to a Lorentz transformation. This is similar to how a circle remains unchanged after an ordinary coordinate system rotation. The only other shape with this Lorentz invariant property is a hyperbola. However, any path through spacetime is left invariant by Lorentz transformations, as the transformations only change how the geometry and curves are described by coordinates.
snoopies622
Last night I was pleasantly surprised to discover that, given a particle trajectory

[itex]
x^2 - c^2t^2 = a^2
[/itex]

when viewed through a Lorentz transformation

[itex]
x' = \gamma (x-vt)
[/itex]
[itex]
t' = \gamma (t - vx/c^2)
[/itex]

produces exactly the same shape

[itex]
x'^2 - c^2t'^2 = a^2
[/itex].

I suppose this is equivalent to the way a circle of radius [itex]a[/itex] looks the same after an ordinary coordinate system rotation. My question is simply, are there shapes besides this hyperbola with this Lorentz invariant property? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
snoopies622 said:
I suppose this is equivalent to the way a circle of radius aa looks the same after an ordinary coordinate system rotation.

It's analogous, yes. A Lorentz boost is a hyperbolic "rotation".

snoopies622 said:
are there shapes besides this hyperbola with this Lorentz invariant property?

What, exactly, is the property you think is Lorentz invariant here?

I would call the trajectory [itex]
x^2 - c^2t^2 = a^2
[/itex] Lorentz invariant because after being subjected to a Lorentz transformation it still looks exactly the same.

This is helpful for me to see how this path represents uniform proper acceleration, since for any instantaneous co-moving reference frame, the rightward acceleration at t=0 (the moment the particle has velocity zero) must be the same as well. [itex]
c^2/a
[/itex] in this case I think.

snoopies622 said:
I would call the trajectory ##x^2 - c^2t^2 = a^2## Lorentz invariant because after being subjected to a Lorentz transformation it still looks exactly the same.

What does "looks exactly the same" mean? I know it seems obvious to you, but it's not; you need to carefully state, in precise language, what you mean. Otherwise there is no way to answer the question you posed in the OP, because the question itself is not well defined.

snoopies622 said:
This is helpful for me to see how this path represents uniform proper acceleration, since for any instantaneous co-moving reference frame, the rightward acceleration at t=0 (the moment the particle has velocity zero) must be the same as well. ##c^2/a## in this case I think.

As you've written it, yes, ##c^2 / a## is the proper acceleration. Most treatments use ##a## for the proper acceleration, in which case the equation would be ##x^2 - c^2 t^2 = c^4 / a^2##.

PeterDonis said:
What does "looks exactly the same" mean?
Well, [itex]
x^2 - c^2t^2 = a^2
[/itex] and [itex] x'^2 - c^2t'^2 = a^2
[/itex] are the same equation, the only difference is the change from one coordinate system (x,t) to the other (x',t').

snoopies622 said:
Well, ##x^2 - c^2t^2 = a^2## and ##x'^2 - c^2t'^2 = a^2## are the same equation

Ok, then your question could be rephrased as, what equations relating the coordinates are left invariant by Lorentz transformations. However, you should note that this is not the same question as the one in the title of this thread, what paths are left invariant by Lorentz transformations.

The answer to the "what equations" question is that only the hyperbola equations are left invariant by Lorentz transformations. The analogy with circles and ordinary rotations holds here (the circle equations are the only equations left invariant by Lorentz transformations).

However, any path through spacetime is left invariant by Lorentz transformations; Lorentz transformations don't change the geometry of spacetime, or of curves within it, they only change how that geometry and those curves are described by the coordinates. Again, the analogy with ordinary rotations is instructive: an ordinary rotation doesn't change the geometry of a plane or of curves on it, it only changes how those curves are described by the coordinates.

Related to Lorentz Invariant Paths in Spacetime

1. What is the concept of Lorentz Invariant Paths in Spacetime?

Lorentz Invariant Paths in Spacetime is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the path of a particle or object in four-dimensional spacetime. It takes into account both space and time dimensions and is based on the principles of special relativity.

2. Why is Lorentz Invariant Paths important in physics?

Lorentz Invariant Paths are important because they help us understand the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, close to the speed of light. They allow us to accurately calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of particles in spacetime, and are essential in the development of theories such as special relativity and quantum mechanics.

3. How is Lorentz Invariant Paths related to the concept of time dilation?

Lorentz Invariant Paths are closely related to time dilation, a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds. This is due to the fact that in Lorentz Invariant Paths, the path of an object is affected by its velocity, and as the object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for the object relative to an observer's perspective.

4. Can Lorentz Invariant Paths be applied to objects of any size?

Yes, Lorentz Invariant Paths can be applied to objects of any size, as long as they are moving at high speeds relative to an observer's frame of reference. This concept is not limited to subatomic particles or large objects, but can be applied to any object that is in motion.

5. How does Lorentz Invariant Paths help us understand the concept of spacetime curvature?

Lorentz Invariant Paths play a crucial role in understanding the concept of spacetime curvature, which is the idea that mass and energy can warp the fabric of spacetime. This is because the path of an object in spacetime is affected by the curvature of spacetime, and by studying the path of an object, we can gain insight into the presence and effects of curvature in the universe.