Lorentz invariance of Rarita-Schwinger action

In summary, in the first order formalism, the spin connection and frame field are independent variables, and in general they can have torsion. The RS action is invariant under local lorentz transformations, but it is not invariant under a gauge transformation which removes unphysical degrees of freedom. In the second order formalism, the spin connection is not torsion free, and you get to it by substituting the equation of motion given by the variation of the action wrt ##\omega##.
Bobhawke
The Rarita-Schwinger action is

[tex]
\int \sqrt{g} \overline{\psi}_a \gamma^{abc} D_b \psi_c
[/tex]

Here ##g = \det(g_{\mu \nu})##, and the indices ##a, b \dots ## are 'internal' indices that transform under e.g. ##\mathrm{SO} (3,1) ## in ##3+1## dimensions. ##\gamma^{abc} = \gamma^{[a} \gamma^{b} \gamma^{c]}## with the gamma matrices obeying ##\gamma^a \gamma^b + \gamma^b \gamma^a = 2 \eta^{ab} ## and ##\eta^{ab}=\mathrm{diag}(1,1 \ldots 1,-1,-1 \ldots -1)## is the 'internal metric'. ##\psi_{\mu} = \psi_{c} e^{c}_{\mu} ## is a spinor-valued one form. Spacetime indices ##\mu, \nu## can be 'converted' to internal indices using the frame field ##e_a^{\mu}##, and vice versa. The covariant derivative is ##D_{\mu} \psi_{\nu} =\partial_{\mu} \psi_{\nu} + \frac{1}{4} \omega_{\mu}^{ab} \gamma_{ab} \psi_{\nu} ##. Here ##\omega## is taken to be the torsion free spin connection, and ##\gamma_{ab} = \gamma^{[a} \gamma^{b]}##.

My question is as follows; from my reading, it seems that the Rarita-Schwinger action above is not invariant under local Lorentz transformations, but the Rarita-Schwinger action plus gravity is invariant under a combined supersymmetry and Lorentz transform. However, I can't see how this action fails to be invariant. As far as I know, the transformation is

[tex] \psi_{c} \rightarrow \Lambda_c^b S \psi_b \\
D_b \psi_c \rightarrow \Lambda_b^e \Lambda_c^f S D_e \psi_f \\
\gamma^{abc} \rightarrow \Lambda_d^a \Lambda_e^b \Lambda_f^c S \gamma^{def} S^{-1}
[/tex]

Here ##S## is an element of the relevant spin group, and ##\Lambda## is a local Lorentz transformation.
To me, it looks like the action is invariant. I'm not sure how this reasoning breaks down.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The action is indeed invariant under LLT's :) Which text do you use and what does it say explicitly? You only need the grav. part if you consider Susy, as the gravitino is the superpartner of the graviton. But every term on it self should be invariant under gct's and LLT's.

Yes, I had a misunderstanding. The RS action is invariant under local lorentz transformations. What it is not invariant under (at least in curved space, or when it is minimally coupled to something) is a gauge transformation which removes unphysical degrees of freedom from the action. One way to get around that problem is to add it to the gravity action in a supersymmetric combination.

I do have some more questions about supergravity though, if youll humour me. And in particular, torsion.

In the first order formalism, the spin connection and frame field are taken to be independent variables. In that case, there is nothing constraining the spin connection and therefore in general it can have torsion. This also means that the affine connection ##\Gamma_{\mu \nu}^{\sigma}## may in general have torsion - that is, a part which is antisymmetric under ##\mu \leftrightarrow \nu##. In the RS action, the covariant derivative of ##\psi_{\mu}## should include the affine connection since it has a spacetime index. The torsion free part of this connection doesn't contribute because it is symmetric and gets contracted with the antisymmetrised product of gamma matrices. But the contribution from the antisymmetric part (contorsion tensor) shouldn't vanish. However, in my reading I have found that in supergravity actions this contribution from the affine connection is not there. And, for example, in the book by Freedman, in the paragraph under 9.2 it says inclusion of these terms would be inconsistent with local supersymmetry. On the other hand, if you don't include them, as far as I can see the theory is not diffeomorphism invariant. What is going on here?

Furthermore, if there is indeed torsion, as far as I am aware you need to split the RS action into two pieces as follows:

[tex]
\int \sqrt{g} \left( \overline{\psi}_a \gamma^{abc} D_b \psi_c - ( D \overline{\psi}_a) \gamma^{abc} \psi_c \right)
[/tex]

The reason is that otherwise the action is not real. Complex conjugation sends each of these two terms to the other, so if you have both in the action then it is real. However, if you only have one term of these terms, in order to show it is real you have to use integration by parts to 'take the covariant derivative to the other side'. In doing so, you pick up an extra ##D e## term, which only vanishes if the torsion is zero, which isn't generally true in the first order formalism.

Finally, the second order formalism seems to suffer from the same problems, since you get to the second order formalism by substituting the equation of motion given by the variation of the action wrt ##\omega##. But because there are fermions present, the spin connection you get from this is not torsion free, and I have all the same objections.

Hi bob, i can't properly go into your question now due to illness. If i can, you ll notice ;)

Related to Lorentz invariance of Rarita-Schwinger action

1. What is Lorentz invariance?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should remain unchanged under a change of inertial frame, meaning that the laws should be the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity.

2. How does Lorentz invariance apply to the Rarita-Schwinger action?

The Rarita-Schwinger action is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of spin-3/2 particles. It is required to be Lorentz invariant, meaning that the equations and predictions derived from the action must remain the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

3. Why is Lorentz invariance important in the Rarita-Schwinger action?

Lorentz invariance is important in the Rarita-Schwinger action because it allows for the proper description of spin-3/2 particles, which are subject to the laws of relativity. Without Lorentz invariance, the predictions and equations derived from the action would not be consistent with experimental observations.

4. How is Lorentz invariance of the Rarita-Schwinger action tested?

Lorentz invariance of the Rarita-Schwinger action is typically tested through experiments that measure the properties and behavior of spin-3/2 particles, such as their decay rates and scattering cross-sections. If the predictions from the Rarita-Schwinger action are consistent with experimental results, then it can be concluded that the action is Lorentz invariant.

5. Are there any theories that challenge the Lorentz invariance of the Rarita-Schwinger action?

There have been some theories proposed, such as Lorentz violation and the violation of CPT symmetry, that challenge the Lorentz invariance of the Rarita-Schwinger action. However, these theories are still under debate and have not been widely accepted in the scientific community. The current consensus is that the Rarita-Schwinger action is Lorentz invariant.