Lorentz Contraction Physical Reality

In summary: The point is that the ships are accelerating at the same rate, which means that the proper distance between them is not changing.In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment involving two spaceships accelerating along a straight line while a third observer remains stationary. The question is whether a thread between the two ships will break due to Lorentz contraction. One participant argues that the thread will break because the ships are accelerating at the same rate, causing the proper distance between them to change. However, another participant points out that this is incorrect because in the ships' frame of reference, they do not perceive themselves to be contracting, but rather the space between them expands as they accelerate. This paradox is known as Bell's spaceship paradox and is often used to
curiousphoton
Simple thought experiment I read and would like to hear what others think will the result will be:

Let two spaceships A and B accelerate along a straight line. Observer C does not accelerate. The accelerations, as judged by C, are constant for both ships. Each ship is equipped with a yard-arm, and a thread is tied between the two arms. Does the thread break, due to Lorentz contraction? (Assume that the acceleration is gentle enough that the thread does not break simply because of its own inertia).

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. For one, there is no length contraction in the accelerating frame, and two, according to observer C, everything in the system is contracting, including the distance between the two spaceships, so the perceived "tension", if you will, on the string according to observer C doesn't even change, since the length of the string and the distance the string spans changes at the same rate.

curiousphoton said:
Let two spaceships A and B accelerate along a straight line. Observer C does not accelerate. The accelerations, as judged by C, are constant for both ships. Each ship is equipped with a yard-arm, and a thread is tied between the two arms. Does the thread break, due to Lorentz contraction?

Your paraphrase of Bell's spaceship scenario is a bit imprecise. You need to assert not that the accelerations of A and B (per the rest frame coordinates of C) are constant, but rather that they are equal. Given this clarification, the answer is obviously yes, the thread will break. John Bell famously used this scenario to argue that many people who think they understand special relativity actually don't, because of how many people confidently give the wrong answer.

soothsayer said:
Nope. For one, there is no length contraction in the accelerating frame, and two, according to observer C, everything in the system is contracting, including the distance between the two spaceships, so the perceived "tension", if you will, on the string according to observer C doesn't even change, since the length of the string and the distance the string spans changes at the same rate.

See below

Samshorn said:
Your paraphrase of Bell's spaceship scenario is a bit imprecise. You need to assert not that the accelerations of A and B (per the rest frame coordinates of C) are constant, but rather that they are equal. Given this clarification, the answer is obviously yes, the thread will break. John Bell famously used this scenario to argue that many people who think they understand special relativity actually don't, because of how many people confidently give the wrong answer.

You spoiled the fun:cry:

And I should have said equal AND constant, correct. Thanks.

Ah, so it was a setup from the beginning, was it? xD

Well here's a chance for me to understand SR a little bit better - could you explain why the thread breaks?

For the thread to break, the ships must contract, but the space between them doesn't...or, from the ship's frame of reference: they do not perceive themselves to be contracting, but the space between them expands as they accelerate.

Is this the case specifically because we're dealing with an accelerating frame of reference?

cephron said:
Ah, so it was a setup from the beginning, was it? xD

Well here's a chance for me to understand SR a little bit better - could you explain why the thread breaks?

For the thread to break, the ships must contract, but the space between them doesn't...or, from the ship's frame of reference: they do not perceive themselves to be contracting, but the space between them expands as they accelerate.

Is this the case specifically because we're dealing with an accelerating frame of reference?

Is it really true that accelerating observers would not report a length contraction? They see other effects of acceleration (like the bandanna hanging from the rear view mirror swinging backwards). As I understand it the equivalence principle says they cannot whether the effect if from increasing velocity one direction or being subject to a stronger gravitational field in the opposite direction...

Does it have to do with perceived length contraction according to the ships since they are moving relativistically? If the length between the ships contracts, what is the implication of this for the string spanning this distance? And I guess from an outside perspective, the rockets are contracting, expanding the space between the connecting points of the string?

Last edited:
Curiousphoton, when you quote someone (in this case me), always make sure to use quotation marks and credit the source properly: http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/genrel/ch02/ch02.html#Section2.3

This is a famous relativity paradox called Bell's spaceship paradox. Anyone who wants to see my own explanation of how the paradox is resolved can read it in the link above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samshorn said:
Your paraphrase of Bell's spaceship scenario is a bit imprecise. You need to assert not that the accelerations of A and B (per the rest frame coordinates of C) are constant, but rather that they are equal.

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't state that clearly.

curiousphoton said:

Er, you mean *I* should have said that...?

curiousphoton said:
You spoiled the fun:cry:

I believe it's called trolling.

curiousphoton said:

No, just equal. Constancy has nothing to do with it.

Related to Lorentz Contraction Physical Reality

1. What is Lorentz Contraction Physical Reality?

Lorentz Contraction Physical Reality is a concept in physics that describes how objects appear to be shorter in the direction of motion when traveling at high speeds. This phenomenon was first proposed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in 1892 and is a key component of Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How does Lorentz Contraction affect the measurement of length?

Lorentz Contraction states that when an object is moving at high speeds, its length in the direction of motion will appear shorter to an observer who is at rest. This means that the measured length of the object will be different for observers in different reference frames.

3. What is the equation for Lorentz Contraction?

The equation for Lorentz Contraction is L = L0 * √(1 - v2/c2), where L is the observed length, L0 is the rest length, v is the velocity of the object, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows that as the velocity approaches the speed of light, the observed length of the object approaches zero.

4. Is Lorentz Contraction a real phenomenon?

Yes, Lorentz Contraction is a real phenomenon that has been proven through experiments and observations. It is a fundamental aspect of special relativity and is essential for understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds.

5. What are some practical applications of Lorentz Contraction?

Lorentz Contraction is an important concept in modern physics and has many practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, particle physics, and engineering. It is used to explain phenomena such as time dilation, length contraction, and relativistic momentum. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as GPS systems and particle accelerators.