Lorentz contraction in the Quantum realm

In summary: In other words: the right edge of the nucleus (proton) is Lorentz contracted in the direction of motion.
fermi
Special Relativity states that a ruler flying by at near the speed of light will appear to be shortened as observed by a stationary observer in the lab frame. This is, of course, exactly what happens to macroscopic objects. The question is how far can we push this into microscopic realm without contradicting with Quantum effects? So let us replace the ruler by a single gold atom (or better yet by a single proton). I carefully avoid elementary particles here which manage to act point like. I am considering microscopic objects which have finite size and which have structure underneath. So a gold atom or a proton both fit the bill.

The classical proof that a ruler appears shrunk requires that we can distinguish the right edge of the ruler (say in the direction of motion) from the left edge of the ruler. The rest is easy by the application of Lorentz transformations to show that it appears shrunk. But I suspect that there is trouble here when I replace the ruler by a proton. At rest, the proton is an extended object that is spherically symmetric (apart from its spin.) Classical physics predicts that a proton appears very much like a ‘pancake’ in the Lab frame due to Lorentz contraction. However, there is one big difference between a proton and a macroscopic ruler: the right and the left edges of a proton cannot be distinguished. Classically, every particle can be distinguished from every other. By extension, the left and right edges of a sphere can also be distinguished even if the sphere is very small. This is not true in the Nature (in Quantum mechanics.) There is no such thing as the right edge of a proton. In order to see the right edge of a proton you need a gamma ray of which wavelength is a fraction of the proton radius, say 10^(-14) cm, or less. This photon will have an energy larger than 10 GeV, more than an order of magnitude larger than the proton rest mass. If the photon interacts with the proton, it will create a shower of particles after which the meaning of the right edge of the proton will have no meaning at all.

So does proton appear shrunk even though we cannot distinguish the right edge of the ruler (proton) from the left edge? Can I still trust the classical derivation of Lorentz contraction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "color-glass condensate". From Wikipedia:
Color-glass condensate is a type of matter theorized to exist in atomic nuclei traveling near the speed of light. According to Einstein’s theory of relativity, a high-energy nucleus appears length contracted, or compressed, along its direction of motion. As a result, the gluons inside the nucleus appear to a stationary observer as a "gluonic wall" traveling near the speed of light.

The next logical step is relativistic quantum mechanics, i.e. Dirac- and Klein-Gordon-equation. A solution, i.e. a wave function ψ in frame S is related to a solution ψ' in frame S'. For the Dirac eq. the relation is difficult due to spin, but for a scalar particle the relation is due to Lorentz-transformation only, i.e. ψ'(x') = ψ(Lx) so all what one has to do is to Lorentz-transform the coordinates x to x' (of course x means x,y,z,t).

That means that via a Lorentz-transformation in a certain direction the solution ψ' in frame S' is Lorentz-contracted w.r.t. solution ψ in frame S.

Related to Lorentz contraction in the Quantum realm

What is Lorentz Contraction in the Quantum Realm?

Lorentz Contraction in the Quantum Realm refers to the phenomenon where the length of an object appears to decrease when it is moving at high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. This effect is described by the theory of relativity and is a result of the distortion of space and time.

What causes Lorentz Contraction in the Quantum Realm?

Lorentz Contraction is caused by the interaction between an object's motion and the fabric of space and time. As an object moves at high speeds or experiences strong gravity, the fabric of space and time is stretched or compressed, leading to a change in the object's perceived length.

How is Lorentz Contraction related to the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and velocity of a particle. As a result, the length of an object in the quantum realm is not well-defined, and its measurement is subject to uncertainty. This uncertainty contributes to the phenomenon of Lorentz Contraction.

Can Lorentz Contraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Lorentz Contraction can be observed in everyday life, although the effects are usually very small and only noticeable at extremely high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. For example, the length of a moving spaceship will appear shorter to an observer on Earth than to someone on board the spaceship.

How does Lorentz Contraction affect our understanding of space and time?

Lorentz Contraction challenges our traditional understanding of space and time as absolute and fixed concepts. It demonstrates that the fabric of space and time is not static and can be distorted by motion and gravity, leading to a relativistic view of the universe.