Loop-the-loop in roller coaster

In summary, the speed at which a roller coaster enters a loop is not equal to the speed at which it exits, due to factors such as friction, air resistance, and gravity. The velocity of the coaster when leaving the loop can be calculated using the conservation of energy equation, taking into consideration the change in gravitational potential energy and the initial velocity.
emma3001
Quick question: In a loop-the-loop, is the speed at which the coaster enters the loop equal to the speed at which it leaves?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite. Quiz question -- why not?

berkeman said:

Without friction: YES

WITH friction (real life): NO

berkeman said:

Ummm...No?

As noted. Friction.

Also:
1) Bearing losses in wheels.
2) Air braking. Think when people are more likely to have their arms in the air.
3) Lost purses, junk etc. ejected at top of loop? (Fanciful I know.)
4) Geometry of the loop itself.

Most roller coasters are very massive and have relatively little frontal area compared to the amount of mass (they's heavy and long), so the losses due to aerodynamic drag aren't that much more than the losses due to friction. As the grease in the coaster wheels warms up, the coasters will go faster, unless there are speed controls (usually spinning tires under the track to regulate coaster speed).

Of course the coaster would leave the loop with less speed than when it entered it - friction - but how do you calculate the speed of the coaster when it is leaving the loop?

If we assume the loop was level going in and out, then you'd have losses. If downhill, then you have gravity which could make it faster going out.

Lets assume its level coming out, how would go you go about finding its velocity?

You would need more information, such as the loss of kinetic energy in the coaster, or the average force of friction.

so there isn't an equation dealing with the degree of a loop and the velocity, mass, of coaster and pull of gravity to determine the end velocity? if friction and air resistance were negligible.

If friction and air resistance are negligible, it's a whole 'nother question you're dealing with. The change in velocity would depend entirely in the change in graviational potential energy (the vertical work done by gravity), otherwise energy is conserved and Ek is still the same. If Ek is still the same, velocity is still the same.

It's similar to how if you have a ball, and you throw it up in the air. No matter what angle you throw it at (as long as it's up), it'll land back in your hand with the same magnitude of velocity (assuming your hand stays at the same height). Regarding the rollercoaster, if we neglect friction, it's just as if it were a ball flying through the air.

So I'm guessing delta h and v1 are your only dependent variables. You could write an equation for v2 using conservation of energy, kinetic energy, and gravitational potential energy.

Keep in mind I'm basing this off what I've learned in Grade 12 Physics. There may be circumstantial information our teacher has withheld from us. But in the meantime, I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hmm i guess that's true. I think i am maybe trying to over analyze my roller coaster problem. Thank you for your time and effort, much appriciated.

Related to Loop-the-loop in roller coaster

1. What is a loop-the-loop in a roller coaster?

A loop-the-loop is a type of roller coaster element that involves a complete 360-degree vertical loop. It is designed to create the sensation of being upside down and is a popular feature in many roller coasters.

2. How do loop-the-loops work?

Loop-the-loops work by harnessing the force of speed and momentum to keep riders safely in their seats as the roller coaster travels through the loop at high speeds. The track is typically designed with a slight curve at the bottom to keep the train moving through the loop smoothly.

3. Are loop-the-loops safe?

Loop-the-loops are generally considered safe, as long as the roller coaster is properly designed and maintained. Modern roller coasters are equipped with safety features such as lap bars and seat belts to keep riders secure during the loop. However, riders with certain health conditions, such as heart problems, may be advised to avoid riding roller coasters with loop-the-loops.

4. What is the tallest loop-the-loop in a roller coaster?

The tallest loop-the-loop in a roller coaster is currently the "Steel Curtain" at Kennywood amusement park in Pennsylvania, USA. It stands at 220 feet tall and has a diameter of 197 feet.

5. How do engineers determine the size and shape of a loop-the-loop in a roller coaster?

Engineers use mathematical equations and computer simulations to determine the necessary size and shape of a loop-the-loop in a roller coaster. Factors such as speed, train weight, and G-forces are taken into consideration to ensure a safe and thrilling experience for riders.