Loop quantum cosmology vs string cosmology

In summary, the predictions of loop quantum cosmology for the primordial power spectrum are well-described and testable. It is a well-developed theory with a growing number of supporters.
kodama
which of the two is better supported by observational evidence and is more researched?

Space news on Phys.org
Right now, they're both just paradigms for generating speculative models, and have no significant data backing them up. Which one a person thinks is better is largely down to personal preference.

There is a standard version of LQC used by major LQC researchers (e.g. Agullo, Ashtekar, co-authors...). It is consistent with the data, so far, on the early universe. And it also makes predictions which will be testable.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1509.05693
Detailed analysis of the predictions of loop quantum cosmology for the primordial power spectra
Ivan Agullo, Noah A. Morris
(Submitted on 18 Sep 2015)
We provide an exhaustive numerical exploration of the predictions of loop quantum cosmology (LQC) with a post-bounce phase of inflation for the primordial power spectrum of scalar and tensor perturbations. We extend previous analysis by characterizing the phenomenologically relevant parameter space and by constraining it using observations. Furthermore, we characterize the shape of LQC-corrections to observable quantities across this parameter space. Our analysis provides a framework to contrast more accurately the theory with forthcoming polarization data, and it also paves the road for the computation of other observables beyond the power spectra, such as non-Gaussianity.
24 pages, 5 figures

I think it adds to the confusion to lump "superstring cosmology" and LQC together and suggest that they are in the same boat--or essentially the same situation testing-wise. Actually Kodama's question is a reasonable one to ask and we ought to be able to distinguish, not blur the differences.

String Cosmology: A Review
Liam McAllister, Eva Silverstein
(Submitted on 16 Oct 2007 (v1), last revised 16 Jan 2008 (this version, v2))
We give an overview of the status of string cosmology. We explain the motivation for the subject, outline the main problems, and assess some of the proposed solutions. Our focus is on those aspects of cosmology that benefit from the structure of an ultraviolet-complete theory.
Comments: 55 pages. v2: references added
Subjects: High Energy Physics - Theory (hep-th); Astrophysics (astro-ph); High Energy Physics - Phenomenology (hep-ph)
Journal reference: Gen.Rel.Grav.40:565-605,2008
DOI: http://arxiv.org/ct?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdx.doi.org%2F10%252E1007%2Fs10714-007-0556-6&v=4882558e
Report number: SLAC-PUB-12782, SITP-07/17
Cite as: arXiv:0710.2951 [hep-th]
(or arXiv:0710.2951v2 [hep-th] for this version)
Submission history
[v1] Tue, 16 Oct 2007 03:31:49 GMT (60kb)
[v2] Wed, 16 Jan 2008 02:48:12 GMT (61kb

Last edited by a moderator:
marcus can you summarize 2-3 testable predictions?

Hi Kodama, thanks for asking,
I'll just have to go to the Agullo+Morris paper
Detailed analysis of the predictions of loop quantum cosmology for the primordial power spectra
and paraphrase or summarize some. Just saw your question and I'm on my way out but will see to it when I get back.

marcus said:
Hi Kodama, thanks for asking,
I'll just have to go to the Agullo+Morris paper
and paraphrase or summarize some. Just saw your question and I'm on my way out but will see to it when I get back.

sure. any chance u can also look at
String Cosmology: A Review
Liam McAllister, Eva Silverstein

and compare LQC with string cosmology

I think I'd prefer to continue focusing on the Agullo Morris paper (and the Ashtekar et al papers that led up to it by setting out and establishing this form of LQC).
Agullo and Morris are using notation and a set of equations governing the pre-inflationary era that were developed by Ashtekar and others in earlier papers which they cite. You might have a look yourself.

I see they use natural (planckian) units with c = G = hbar = 1 and they base everything on a parameter space (φB, m)
where m is the inflaton mass, and φ is a scalar field which evolves according to a given equation and assumes the value φB at the bounce.

Predictions for all the observable quantities (which might be used in testing) are then derived from particular choice of (φB, m).

So there are allowed regions of the parameter space which are consistent with what has been so far, and regions which have been excluded. You may be familiar with all this if you have already taken a look at the Agullo Morris paper.

Likes kodama

Related to Loop quantum cosmology vs string cosmology

1. What is the main difference between loop quantum cosmology and string cosmology?

The main difference between these two theories is the way they approach the fundamental building blocks of the universe. Loop quantum cosmology focuses on the discrete, granular nature of space and time, while string cosmology views the universe as being composed of tiny vibrating strings.

2. Which theory has more evidence to support it?

Currently, string cosmology has more evidence to support it due to its ability to incorporate and explain phenomena such as gravity and the standard model of particle physics. However, both theories are still being researched and tested, so this may change in the future.

3. How do these theories explain the beginning of the universe?

Loop quantum cosmology proposes that the universe underwent a cycle of contraction and expansion, with the current expansion being the result of a previous contraction. String cosmology, on the other hand, suggests that the universe began with a rapid period of inflation followed by the formation of strings.

4. Which theory is more compatible with general relativity?

Both loop quantum cosmology and string cosmology are attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics with general relativity. However, loop quantum cosmology is more closely aligned with general relativity as it incorporates the principles of discrete space-time, which is a key feature of general relativity.

5. Are there any potential implications or applications of these theories?

Both loop quantum cosmology and string cosmology have the potential to greatly impact our understanding of the universe, but they are still in the early stages of development. Some potential implications could include a better understanding of the origin and evolution of the universe, as well as potential advances in technology through the study of quantum phenomena.