Loop Integral Form: Finding a Workable Solution without Regularization

In summary, the conversation revolved around the attempt to calculate a divergent integral with a similar structure to a loop integral. The integral form was given and a request was made for a usable form or a regularization technique to obtain a finite answer. The possibility of evaluating the integral using a standard contour instead of QFT loop integral forms was also discussed. The context of the problem was revealed to be a conductivity calculation and the idea of using the Cauchy Principal Valued sense for convergence was mentioned.
DeathbyGreen
Hi,

I'm trying to calculate an integral which looks unfortunately divergent. The structure is similar to a loop integral but the appendix in the Peskin textbook didn't have a useable form. The integral form is (I did a u substitution to make it easier to look at)

[itex]
\int_x^{\infty}du \frac{u^2}{\omega - u}
[/itex]

Does anyone know of a workable form for this? Introducing a cutoff is possible but I would prefer not to.

Edit: I know that it is divergent. I was hoping for some sort of regularization technique which would allow for a finite answer under certain conditions.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the integral is divergent as stated. What is the context of this problem? The title says this is a loop integral. If this is indeed a contour integral, then it can be evaulated on the complex plane about the pole at ##u=w##.

The integral occurs in a conductivity calculation I'm working through, it has a imaginary convergence factor in the denominator which I didn't write. So you think I could evaluate this as a standard contour and not need the fancy QFT loop integral forms?

It depends on what you are trying to evaluate. Without seeing the problem, I am not sure if the integral has been constructed correctly. If your goal is to evaluate a closed line integral, then the integral is zero if the loop does not enclose the pole and is ##2\pi i\text{Res}(f)## if it encloses the pole.

The integral converges in the Cauchy Principal Valued sense. For example:

##\text{P.V.}\displaystyle\int_0^2 \frac{z^2}{1-z}dz=-4##

Likes DeathbyGreen

Related to Loop Integral Form: Finding a Workable Solution without Regularization

1. What is loop integral form?

Loop integral form is a mathematical technique used in theoretical physics to calculate the probability amplitude of a physical process involving virtual particles. It involves integrating over all possible momenta of the virtual particles in a Feynman diagram.

2. What is regularization and why is it needed in loop integral form?

Regularization is a mathematical technique used to handle divergent integrals in loop integral form. This is necessary because without regularization, the integrals would give infinite results, which are not physically meaningful.

3. How does one find a workable solution without regularization?

One way to find a workable solution without regularization is to use dimensional regularization, which involves extending the number of dimensions in the integral from four to a complex number. This allows for the cancellation of divergences and results in finite and physically meaningful results.

4. What are the limitations of loop integral form?

One limitation of loop integral form is that it is only applicable to processes involving virtual particles. It also becomes increasingly complex with higher orders of perturbation theory, making it difficult to calculate beyond a certain point.

5. How is loop integral form used in practical applications?

Loop integral form is used in practical applications to calculate cross-sections, decay rates, and scattering amplitudes in particle physics experiments. It is also used in theoretical calculations to test and validate theories and make predictions about the behavior of particles.