Looking to find the amount of energy stored in a clock spring

In summary, calculating the amount of energy stored in a clock spring involves using the formula E = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance the spring is compressed or extended. This formula allows for the determination of potential energy stored in the spring, which can then be used to power various mechanical devices such as clocks and watches. Accurately measuring the spring constant and distance are crucial for obtaining an accurate calculation of energy stored. Additionally, the energy stored in a clock spring can be increased by either increasing the spring constant or increasing the distance the spring is compressed or extended.
Willber Force
I'm looking to find formulas to calculate the energy stored in a spring you would find in a clock. I have been having a hard time finding formulas that govern these types of springs. I have found formula in similar springs, such as the spiral-torsion spring found here but I believe this type does not include multiple-turn springs you would find in a clock (I could be wrong).

I understand this is a complex system and any formulas would be approximations anyway. I'm looking to solve an optimization problem using these types of springs so I would like to get something at least in the ballpark if possible.

Thanks for any help that you could provide!

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way might be to calculate the work done to wind the spring: torque needed to turn the winder times the total angle (360 degrees per full turn) it is turned.

The torque is going to increase with the spring tension so this calculation appears to require an integration... but I would bet that the taking the average of the torque when we start turning and when we’re done would be a good approximation, and then we have a simple multiplication.

Willber Force said:
Summary:: I'm looking to find formulas to calculate the energy stored in a spring you would find in a clock.

I'm looking to find formulas to calculate the energy stored in a spring you would find in a clock.
This is not a specific answer to the question but you could always cross-check your answer against the mgh involved with a weight driven movement. Whilst I realize that clock weights could be heavier than necessary, there is a basis of clock design that it should last for many years so the energy that you put into raising the weight every day needs to be as low as the movement will permit.
I remember an horologist friend of mine telling me that the cheaper the watch, the louder the tick because the spring needs to work against friction. "Ticka tick Timex" was a selling point because you could hear it easily. Timing was not so good though.

A very brief look at Google gave me https://www.researchgate.net/public...source/link/5a9fd5070f7e9badd99f60c1/download. That seems a pretty definitive source.

Last edited:

1. How is energy stored in a clock spring?

The energy in a clock spring is stored through the process of winding. When the spring is wound, potential energy is stored in the form of tension in the spring, which can be released to power the clock's movement.

2. How do you calculate the amount of energy stored in a clock spring?

The formula for calculating the energy stored in a clock spring is E = 1/2 * k * x^2, where E is the energy in joules, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is wound. The spring constant can be determined by measuring the force required to wind the spring and the distance it is wound.

3. What units are used to measure the energy stored in a clock spring?

The energy stored in a clock spring is typically measured in joules (J). However, other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or ergs (erg) may also be used.

4. Can the energy stored in a clock spring be changed?

Yes, the amount of energy stored in a clock spring can be changed by altering the spring constant or the distance it is wound. A higher spring constant or a larger winding distance will result in more energy being stored in the spring.

5. What factors can affect the amount of energy stored in a clock spring?

The amount of energy stored in a clock spring can be affected by several factors, including the material and design of the spring, the amount of tension applied during winding, and any external forces acting on the spring.