Looking to build an impressive project for my college application

In summary: Do you guys think that building something like a model nuclear fusor, that just produces plasma, would be impressive to colleges? Even though it would be fun to build anyway.
guss
Hey all, I am currently looking to build something for fun, and to add to my college application/resume. I was thinking about building a particle accelerator, and did a good amount of research into that, and it seems like it would be expensive and complicated. However, I am still open to that idea, as I'm sure there are other types of particle accelerators that are easier and cheaper to build.

But, before I begin building, I want to be sure that I am building the best and most interesting thing. I don't want this to be super expensive to build (sub $600 is a rough estimate), and I don't want it to take ages or be very large. I am willing to design my own thing if there are not any plans on the internet, or what have you.

Also, what about 'fusers'? What is generally considered one of the easiest, and cheapest type to build (assuming the model is safe :p)?

Sorry if I sound blunt in this post, but there's really not much else to say. So, anyone have any ideas? I'm open to pretty much anything. Alternatively, some ideas for the particle accelerator and how to build it would be great.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
How about a sonoluminescence device?

RocketSci5KN said:
How about a sonoluminescence device?
Maybe, I just looked into it and it sounds interesting.

What about a "demo" nuclear fusion reactor? One that just creates plasma and doesn't fuse?

guss said:
Maybe, I just looked into it and it sounds interesting.

What about a "demo" nuclear fusion reactor? One that just creates plasma and doesn't fuse?

"www.fusor.net"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jasongreat said:
"www.fusor.net"[/URL][/QUOTE]
Yeah, I have been looking at that.

Do you guys think that building something like a model nuclear fusor, that just produces plasma, would be impressive to colleges? Even though it would be fun to build anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Looking to build an impressive project for my college application

1. What makes a project "interesting" in the scientific community?

An interesting project in the scientific community is one that is innovative, has the potential to contribute new knowledge or solve a problem, and is well-designed and executed.

2. How do scientists choose which projects to work on?

Scientists often choose projects based on their interests, expertise, and funding opportunities. They may also prioritize projects that align with their research goals and have the potential for significant impact.

3. What are some examples of interesting projects in different scientific fields?

Examples of interesting projects in different scientific fields include developing new medical treatments, exploring the effects of climate change on ecosystems, and studying the origins of the universe.

4. How do scientists collaborate on interesting projects?

Scientists often collaborate on interesting projects by sharing ideas, resources, and data. They may also work together on research teams or through partnerships with other institutions.

5. How can non-scientists get involved in interesting projects?

Non-scientists can get involved in interesting projects by volunteering for research studies, participating in citizen science projects, or supporting scientific research through donations or advocacy. They can also stay informed about current research and its potential impact on society.