Looking for the logic behind this

• Thread starter cdux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the chance of ball x hitting bowl x after dropping each ball randomly in a bowl one by one is (n-1)!/n!.
cdux
We got a bunch of balls numbered 1 to n. And we got a bunch of bowls numbered also 1 to n.

What is the chance of ball x hitting bowl x after dropping each ball randomly in a bowl one by one?

The answer involves saying 1/n after going (n-1)!/n! and I wonder, what is the full logic behind it?

I think I can get the denominator as a collection of all the shuffling results, but what is the exact logic that leads to the numerator being (n-1)!?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey cdux.

The key thing you have to specify is whether the probability changes after a ball is released (or a specific bowl is hit).

If the probabilities don't change at all with respect to the above attributes then probability is always the same and under a uniform distribution (all probabilities are likely) then the probability is 1/n for all bowls.

If the assumptions are different then you will get a different distribution (the above is the simplest case with the easiest assumptions).

The question didn't specify so they are probably equiprobable. Being from the beginning of a book, I guess it's certain.

PS. I'm mainly interested in the logic of (n-1)!/n! (that led to 1/n) rather than going directly to 1/n.

When placing the kth ball, you have to put it in one of the k remaining empty bowls. You can't drop it on the floor or put it in your pocket. That places a constraint on the placement. You have k-1 choices rather than k choices as to where to place that kth ball. If you don't put it into one of the first k-1 empty bowls you have no choice but to drop it into the last empty bowl.

cdux said:
We got a bunch of balls numbered 1 to n. And we got a bunch of bowls numbered also 1 to n.

What is the chance of ball x hitting bowl x after dropping each ball randomly in a bowl one by one?

The answer involves saying 1/n after going (n-1)!/n! and I wonder, what is the full logic behind it?

I think I can get the denominator as a collection of all the shuffling results, but what is the exact logic that leads to the numerator being (n-1)!?

Try this: if ball x falls in bowl x, how many ways can the other n-1 balls be placed? What fraction is that of the total number of ways of placing n balls?

OK I have a mental image of a base of containers shuffling around that nets a result of n! states. Then if you hold into place k ball into container k then you can shuffle the balls only in (n-1)! ways which produces our desired (n-1)!/n! result for classical probability N(A)/N(Ω).

But there may be a missing link in the logic here because I suspect I was biased by knowing the answer when reaching that interpretation.

Is there really a concrete way of looking at probability that involves 'holding the desired result into place' while all the rest outcomes 'shuffle' around it?

It sounds impressive for a movie but I wonder if it has holes. i.e. exceptions.

The logic of subtracting elements from the numerator group for more successes appears to be correct since the answer is also (n-l)!/n! for l successes.

Going to the extreme of n successes appears to make it easier to understand since that would net 0!/n! which is what one would expect for the chance of getting an n! combination right.

If you're going to have 2 failures in matching, it doubles the probability of the contraption, and 3 failures can shuffle around in 6 ways making the probability of that X 6 of the initial. So it might be another case of thinking of failures instead of successes might be more direct.

..And you don't want to see the answer for "at least l successes..".

Related to Looking for the logic behind this

What is the purpose of "Looking for the logic behind this"?

The purpose of "Looking for the logic behind this" is to analyze and understand the reasoning and patterns behind a certain concept or phenomenon. It involves using critical thinking and problem-solving skills to break down complex ideas into logical steps.

Why is it important to look for the logic behind something?

Looking for the logic behind something is important because it allows us to gain a deeper understanding of a concept or problem. It also helps us to identify any flaws or errors in our thinking and refine our understanding. Additionally, finding the logic behind something can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of study.

What are some strategies for finding the logic behind something?

There are several strategies for finding the logic behind something, including breaking down the problem into smaller parts, analyzing patterns and relationships, asking questions, and seeking out additional information or resources. It may also be helpful to collaborate with others and approach the problem from different perspectives.

How can looking for the logic behind something benefit scientists?

Looking for the logic behind something can benefit scientists by helping them to make sense of complex data and experimental results. It also allows them to make accurate predictions and develop theories that can be tested and refined. Additionally, understanding the logic behind something can lead to more efficient and effective research methods.

Is there a specific process for looking for the logic behind something?

While there is no one specific process for looking for the logic behind something, there are some general steps that can be followed, such as defining the problem, gathering information, analyzing and organizing the information, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence. However, the exact process may vary depending on the nature of the problem and the individual's own approach to problem-solving.