Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Looking for Study Partners

logan3

Aug 28, 2015
I mainly joined looking for some study partners. I need to restudy some courses for some future exams and improve my confidence and depth of understanding. I'm open to solving problems from any of the following courses: Calc I-IV, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Group Theory, Real Analysis, Vector Analysis, Complex Analysis, Introductory Number Theory, Discrete Math, Differential Equations I, Engineering Physics II, Modern Physics, Electricity & Magnetism, Physical Chemistry or Statistical Mechanics & Thermodynamics.

The idea is that we work through a course or topic by solving a set of agreed upon problems on our own, then meet one or twice a week to talk about any problems we had difficulty on or found interesting.

Nice to meet you and thanks,
Logan

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Hi Logan,

Welcome to MHB! I'm a POTW director here who posts graduate level problems every Tuesday, and the problems stem from various branches of mathematics, some of which you've mentioned. It's good to see that you've already participated in this week's university level POTW.

It's possible to find members here who are willing to be your study partners (maybe especially in abstract algebra and differential equations) but I'm not sure if your independent study proposal will work in this platform. Usually, members post questions of interest and others will respond. I think what will work for you is to choose one subject to work on and post questions on exercises you're having trouble with or issues that arise from your reading. Members usually respond to posts in a timely manner. Also, continue to take part in the POTW's; besides myself, Ackbach directs the University POTW and Anemone directs the High School POTW.

I hope my advice is helpful to you and best of luck in your studies!

Prakhar

MHB Ambassador
MHB Ambassador
Mar 18, 2015
Welcome Logan! I am glad to see that you have found us. Enjoy!

Illmatic

Aug 27, 2015
Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Group Theory, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Introductory Number Theory, Discrete Math
I'm interested. What books are you using for the above? I'm using Rudin for analysis at the moment. I've only just started, though.

logan3

Aug 28, 2015
I'm interested. What books are you using for the above? I'm using Rudin for analysis at the moment. I've only just started, though.
Thanks, I'll send you a message.

Illmatic

Aug 27, 2015
Thanks, I'll send you a message.
Cool! There's a Rudin study group on reddit that we can catch up with if you're on it. They started a month ago and meet once or twice a week on skype. They're on chapter two at the moment - going through a chapter every two weeks.

logan3

Aug 28, 2015
Hi,

I'm interested in study partners this summer. The courses I'm interested in are: Calc II-IV, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis, Vector Analysis, Complex Analysis, Introductory Number Theory, Discrete Math, Differential Equations I, Engineering Physics II, Modern Physics, and Electricity & Magnetism.

The idea is that we work through a course or topic by solving a set of agreed upon problems on our own, then meet one or twice a week to talk about any problems we had difficulty on or found interesting.

Thank-you!,
Logan