Looking for source of cosmology/astrophysics quote

In summary, the conversation is about finding the origin of a quote regarding discovering things about the universe that we cannot even imagine. It may have been said by a Russian astrophysicist in the 1920s or 1930s, a British biologist J.S. Haldane, or physicist Richard Feynman in one of his lectures from the 1950s. The speaker mentions watching a Feynman lecture and finding a similar quote, but is unable to locate the specific lecture. They express their enjoyment of watching Feynman and plan to continue searching for the origin of the quote.
Mondo11
For a neuroscience book I am writing, I am looking for the person who first said/wrote the following quote: "We discover things about the universe we can no longer even imagine." THIS MAY NOT BE THE EXACT QUOTE, BUT ONLY HOW I RECALL IT FROM ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO. I think it was from a Russian astrophysicist, and I think it was from the 1920s or 1930s.

Space news on Phys.org
Mondo11 said:
For a neuroscience book I am writing, I am looking for the person who first said/wrote the following quote: "We discover things about the universe we can no longer even imagine." THIS MAY NOT BE THE EXACT QUOTE, BUT ONLY HOW I RECALL IT FROM ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO. I think it was from a Russian astrophysicist, and I think it was from the 1920s or 1930s.
I was just watching a Feynman lecture (at Cornell) from around 1950s. He said something like that regarding not just cosmology but nature in general.
Something to the effect that "We discover things about nature that we cannot imagine."
I'm afraid that's not of any use to you---it had a kind of matter-of-fact ring. the tone was not poetical. He then proceeded to explain WHY we weren't prepared to imagine or grasp intuitively the kind of things we were learning about nature. and why this was only to be expected. analogies don't necessarily work over widely different scales.

Mondo11 said:

What about a British biologist? J.S. Haldane reportedly said "My own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._S._Haldane

I use this (supposed) quote a lot.

Marcus, Well, that quote of Feynman's may be what I am recalling. Can you tell me where to find the lecture?

Mondo11 said:
Marcus, Well, that quote of Feynman's may be what I am recalling. Can you tell me where to find the lecture?

I can't pinpoint it. The day I encountered it, I started by watching this Feynman talk:

and it could be in that one, in the last half or third of the talk.
But that same day I also sampled others of the same series of talks which Youtube provides links to in the margin. I may not be able to find it again without an unreasonable effort. I'll give it a try, time permitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Marcus. I shall take it from here. I always enjoy watching Feynman.

Related to Looking for source of cosmology/astrophysics quote

1. What is the quote about?

The quote is about cosmology and astrophysics, which are scientific fields that study the origins, evolution, and structure of the universe.

2. Who said the quote?

The source of the quote is important because it gives credibility to the information. In this case, the quote is often attributed to a famous scientist or researcher in the field of cosmology or astrophysics.

3. Why is the quote significant?

The significance of the quote can vary depending on the context and the person quoting it. However, it is often used to describe a key concept or idea in cosmology or astrophysics, or to inspire others to continue exploring and understanding the universe.

4. How can I find the original source of the quote?

To find the original source of the quote, you can start by researching the quote online and looking for reliable sources such as scientific articles, books, or interviews. It may also be helpful to reach out to experts in the field for further clarification.

5. Is the quote scientifically accurate?

It is important to verify the accuracy of the quote before using it as a reference in your research or studies. You can do this by fact-checking with reliable sources and consulting with experts in the field to ensure that the quote is supported by scientific evidence.