Looking for some help with constructing a double slit experiment

In summary: I'm not aware of any practical applications, as it is more of a thought experiment. But it does have implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the role of the observer. It is possible to construct a single-particle diffraction lab in a private house, but it can be expensive. The phenomena being observed is diffraction, not interference, and it is possible to obtain the required materials from scientific equipment suppliers. However, experiments involving delayed choice quantum erasers tend to be more of a thought experiment than a practical application.
rpfineman
Hello, fellow physics lovers. I am an amateur physicist and am currently teaching some fellow keen amateurs about the marvels of the quantum world. After explaining the dual nature of light and conducting a very basic example of Young's double slit experiment using a laser and a sheet of card, the group, rather excitedly, decided it would be worth putting in a bit of effort to try and construct an apparatus capable of demonstrating real quantum interference and wave function collapse. Although at the time I was overjoyed by their enthusiasm I feel I have bitten off more than i can chew. Does anyone know if its possible to obtain the required materials, i.e. single photon/electron sources, barium crystals/any other usable beam spliters, mirrored glass, detector screens etc.? I know Its asking a lot but any info is greatly appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You can obtain this sort of equipment from scinetific equipment suppliers ... however, some of the experiments you are likely to want to try will be very expensive. You should try to narrow down you requirements to the properties you want to demonstrate.

Thanks so much for your reply Simon. And thank you for the welcome. I guess what I am really wondering is whether or not its possible to construct a home apparatus capable of displaying a single particle interference pattern (apologies for any bad terminology). Is this something people would do out of interest or is it the kind of experiment that's restricted to labs with rather large budgets??

Last edited:
You can, in principle, construct a single-particle diffraction lab in a private house ... there is nothing particularly special about a physics lab. But it tends to be pricey.

Note: you realize the experiment is basically shooting a bullet at a narrow window and looking for the hole in the wall on the other side? You need to do it lots of times to see the pattern.

"interference" is not a terribly useful way to think about it - there is nothing to interfere with.
the phenomena is "diffraction", and refers to the result not the process.

I understand that it has to be done many times to get the desired result. Apologies for the lack of clarity. I used the term "single particle" to differentiate between the observed pattern which occurs when firing a stream of particles -which as far as I am aware can be explained using classical wave mechanics- and the quantum effect observed when firing single particles one at a time.

If I am being really honest, what I really want to explore are some of the possible practical applications of delayed choice quantum erasers. Is this something youre familiar with?

Somewhat.
Practical applications?

Related to Looking for some help with constructing a double slit experiment

1. What is a double slit experiment?

A double slit experiment is a scientific experiment that involves shining a beam of particles (such as light or electrons) through two parallel slits in a barrier and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. Why is a double slit experiment important?

A double slit experiment is important because it helps demonstrate the wave-like behavior of particles and provides evidence for the concept of quantum superposition. It also has applications in various fields such as optics, electronics, and quantum computing.

3. How do you construct a double slit experiment?

To construct a double slit experiment, you will need a source of particles (such as a laser or electron gun), a barrier with two parallel slits, and a screen to observe the interference pattern. The particles are then directed towards the slits and the resulting interference pattern is observed on the screen.

4. What factors can affect the results of a double slit experiment?

The results of a double slit experiment can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the particles, the distance between the slits, the size of the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. External factors such as vibrations or air currents can also impact the results.

5. How does a double slit experiment support the wave-particle duality theory?

The double slit experiment supports the wave-particle duality theory by demonstrating that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. The interference pattern observed on the screen suggests that the particles behave as waves, while the individual particle hits on the screen suggest that they also have particle-like characteristics.