Looking for New Programming Projects to Expand My Skills - Any Suggestions?

In summary: It's a great way to get your feet wet and see how the programming concepts work.In summary, if you want to learn more about programming and want to explore different areas, try doing projects that interest you rather than sticking with the same thing. Also, make sure to take courses in database programming and data structures so you can build more robust and scalable programs. Finally, try learning a new programming language like Scala to develop apps on Android.
Mathematicize
Hi all,

What are some cool programming projects that you have done that really helped you learn a different area of computer science / programming? I am SICK OF the tedium in databases and application development. I would like to expand my horizons to areas such as embedded systems, computer systems, mathematical computing, scientific computing, networking, and anything else you guys could give me advice on!

The key thing here is learning through something that really catches my interest. I am just having a hard time finding a place to get started.

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
write a program to mirror a website on your hard drive to an actual server. Make it so that if there is a file on your hard drive that is not on the server, it uploads and if there is one on the server that is not on the hard drive, it gets erased, and if it is on both then upload it only if the file size is different or the HD version is newer.

check out open source physics at www.compadre.org/osp

they have a collection of java apps that do simulations of various physical systems. They provide ODEs ie ordinary differential equation solvers that can integrate a set of equations to simulate a physical within certain constraints.

Also don't shortchange database and data structures courses as they are the foundation of important concepts that can make a big difference in your future programs. database programming makes it easier for your program to scale up from simpler array based structures.

in the spirit of phinds suggestion, why not invent a language and write an interpreter or compiler for it.

Mathematicize said:
Hi all,

What are some cool programming projects that you have done that really helped you learn a different area of computer science / programming? I am SICK OF the tedium in databases and application development. I would like to expand my horizons to areas such as embedded systems, computer systems, mathematical computing, scientific computing, networking, and anything else you guys could give me advice on!

The key thing here is learning through something that really catches my interest. I am just having a hard time finding a place to get started.

Thanks

Hey Mathematicize and welcome to the forums.

For networking, the standard bread and butter intro application is a chat program or instant messager. More advanced projects might include a file transfer program with extended features. You could download the open source p2p programs and look at the protocols and source code.

A really ambitious project would be a multiplayer game engine, but this literally would take years from the ground up (although you could take an existing non-network one and add network features, but this is actually harder because the engine needs to be designed specifically for multiplayer functionality as part of its core design).

Another cool idea is to learn scala to develop an app on android using netbeans IDE and the android maven plugin. Scala is a blend of OO and functional programming concepts so you'd be learning a lot of new things all at once.

I'd suggest a simple game with 2d or 3d graphics as a start.

Related to Looking for New Programming Projects to Expand My Skills - Any Suggestions?

1. What is an applied programming project?

An applied programming project is a real-world application of programming skills and knowledge to solve a specific problem or achieve a specific goal. It involves identifying the problem, designing a solution using programming languages and tools, and implementing the solution through coding.

2. What are the benefits of completing an applied programming project?

Completing an applied programming project allows you to gain practical experience and apply your theoretical knowledge to a real-world scenario. It also helps to improve your problem-solving skills, coding proficiency, and critical thinking abilities. Additionally, it can serve as a valuable addition to your portfolio and showcase your skills to potential employers.

3. What programming languages are commonly used in applied programming projects?

The choice of programming language depends on the specific project and its requirements. However, some commonly used languages in applied programming projects include Python, Java, C++, JavaScript, and SQL. It is also essential to have a solid understanding of data structures and algorithms to effectively implement solutions in any programming language.

4. How do you approach an applied programming project?

Approaching an applied programming project involves understanding the problem, breaking it down into smaller, manageable tasks, and creating a plan of action. It is crucial to conduct research and gather all necessary information before starting the coding process. It is also helpful to regularly test and debug your code as you progress to ensure it meets the project requirements.

5. How can I improve my skills for completing applied programming projects?

To improve your skills for completing applied programming projects, it is essential to continuously practice and work on various projects. Additionally, staying updated with new technologies and languages can also help expand your skillset. Collaborating with other programmers and seeking feedback can also aid in identifying areas for improvement and honing your skills.