Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Looking for instruction ideas

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
I have a friend who is taking a couple of Math courses this Spring. I have referred here to MHB (and I'll be helping her directly myself.)

She has a condition that is called "discalculia." It is a variant on dislexia in which math problems become very difficult. She has problems staying on task when doing even something as simple as basic addition. It's not just numbers, she has difficulty with a + 2a = 3a. This is not a concept problem; it's more of a "I see +/- signs and nothing seems right" kind of thing.

Does anyone out there have some experience with this? I'm trying to find out instructional skills that might be helpful for me to use.

Thanks!

-Dan

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hey Dan,

I have decent experience teaching different age groups and learning styles, but I've never come across this and it sounds like you might really want to read up on teaching techniques. Maybe someone else at MHB knows something specific for you but in the meantime I found this link that might be helpful for you: The Dyscalculia Forum - News

Jameson

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
There's a reason my ex-fiance did all my web searches for me. :)

Thanks for the site...I didn't come across that one. That'll be a good place to start.

-Dan