Looking for info on Bremsstrahlung

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of bremsstrahlung in a vacuum and the individual's search for information on the subject. They mention using Google and their school's physics library, but are unable to access a specific book. They also mention their familiarity with quantum mechanics and ask if knowledge of QED and QCD is necessary. Finally, they mention a Wikipedia article and a potential helpful resource from Arizona State University.
Divided_Pi
Hello,
I'm looking for any information on bremsstrahlung in a vacuum (or near vacuum). I've been trying to look for some information on google and in my school's physics library. The one book I found in the library was checked out so I couldn't actually look at it, but it looked like the book involved QED and QCD. Will I need to know a decent amount about these two topics to begin to learn about this subject?
I am going into my junior year as an undergrad and have covered some intro to quantum mechanics, but nothing too advanced. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Looking for info on Bremsstrahlung

1. What is Bremsstrahlung and how does it occur?

Bremsstrahlung is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is produced when a charged particle, such as an electron, is accelerated or decelerated by passing through a strong electric field. This acceleration or deceleration causes the particle to emit photons, resulting in the production of Bremsstrahlung radiation.

2. What are the applications of Bremsstrahlung in scientific research?

Bremsstrahlung is commonly used in X-ray production and imaging, as well as in particle accelerators for studying the properties of matter and subatomic particles. It is also used in medical imaging and cancer treatment.

3. How is Bremsstrahlung different from other types of radiation?

Unlike other types of radiation, such as alpha, beta, and gamma rays, Bremsstrahlung is produced by the acceleration of charged particles rather than the decay of atomic nuclei. It also has a continuous spectrum of energies, rather than a discrete energy level.

4. What factors affect the intensity of Bremsstrahlung radiation?

The intensity of Bremsstrahlung radiation is affected by the energy of the charged particle, the strength of the electric field, and the density of the material through which the particle is passing. It is also influenced by the atomic number of the material, with higher atomic numbers resulting in higher intensity radiation.

5. Are there any potential hazards associated with Bremsstrahlung radiation?

Bremsstrahlung radiation can be harmful in high doses, as it can cause damage to living tissue. However, the level of radiation produced by Bremsstrahlung is usually low and can be controlled through proper shielding and safety protocols. It is important to follow safety guidelines when working with Bremsstrahlung radiation to minimize any potential risks.