Looking for history of candlelight vigils

• History
  • Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of information on the history of candle making and the origin of vigil ceremonies. The participants suggest possible sources for information, including religious gatherings and contacting the Chandler's Guild in London. A book titled "The Hour of Our Death" is also recommended as a potential source for understanding the ritualization of death.
Newai
Wikipedia has almost nothing on when this all started. Ditto for history of candle making.

Anyone know the history of this kind of vigil?

Science news on Phys.org
You will probably find it most commonly in religious vigils. Since candles were a common manner of light at night before electricty or even gas, the only reference to them would be as gatherings at night. Perhaps torchlight ceremonies. But torchlight was common.

If you just want a history of candlemaking, I can probably find some articles on that, I used to have some. They used to have oil lamps long before candles.

Not so much candle-making, really. I only mentioned that because it was part of my search strategy. Odd that I can't find anything on the history of this kind of vigil. But where you mention religion, I'll try to find a religion forum and see if anyone knows.

Pray I avoid any proselytizing snowballs. o:)

Although this is more in the candle-making business than about vigils, I suggest you contact, for example, the Chandler's Guild in London. (It still exists).

The waxchandlers have their own website; here's a chronology from there:
http://www.waxchandlers.org.uk/origins/chronology-of-the-companys-history.php

Furthermore, at amazon.com, a history of the guild "The Wax Chandlers of London" is available from independent sources:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0850331005/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Will do. Thank you.

The following 700-page book by the historian Philippe Arries, "The hour of our death", seems to be a study of the changing perceptions of death, how death has been ritualized, and so on.

Perhaps worth looking into?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0394751566/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited:
Nice find. I will look at that one. :smile:

Related to Looking for history of candlelight vigils

1. What is a candlelight vigil?

A candlelight vigil is a peaceful gathering of people holding candles to honor a person, group, or event. It is often a form of protest or remembrance and can be held for various reasons, such as to show support, raise awareness, or mourn a loss.

2. When did candlelight vigils originate?

The origin of candlelight vigils is uncertain, but they have been used throughout history in different cultures and for various purposes. Some historians believe they originated with the ancient Romans and were used as a form of funeral procession. Others suggest they originated with the Celtic festival of Samhain, which honored the dead.

3. How have candlelight vigils evolved over time?

Candlelight vigils have evolved in terms of their purpose and the technology used. In the past, people would use candles and torches to light the way, but today, electric candles or phone flashlights are often used. The use of social media has also made it easier to organize and spread awareness about vigils.

4. What are some notable examples of candlelight vigils in history?

Some notable examples of candlelight vigils include the Tiananmen Square protests in 1989, where students held candles to honor those who died during the protests. In 2011, a candlelight vigil was held in London to honor the victims of the 9/11 attacks. More recently, candlelight vigils have been held in response to tragedies such as school shootings and terrorist attacks.

5. How are candlelight vigils used today?

Candlelight vigils are still used today for a variety of reasons, including to honor victims of tragedies, raise awareness for social and political issues, and as a form of protest. They are often used as a way for communities to come together and show support for a cause or to remember those who have passed away. They are also used as a form of peaceful resistance and a way to bring attention to important issues.