Looking for help calculating daily solar PV insolation

• Thread starter StevenMa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solar
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a Python program for a Raspberry Pi that can calculate and display the peak solar insolation for each day, along with a visual or audible indicator for when it is a good time to run certain household appliances. The program will also take into account the location, roof orientation, and weather forecast. The main difficulty lies in the mathematical calculation, but the individual is determined to work through it with some assistance.
StevenMa
I would like to write a simple (as possible) programme in Python for a Raspberry Pi that will calculate & display for each day the peak solar insolation +/- say 1 hour to display this 2 hour time window and a green LED or similar visual or audible indicator that now is a good time to run the dishwasher, kettle etc. to take advantage of the excess energy that would normally flow back into the mains electricity grid.

I have found solutions to switch on & off, for example, water heaters when excess energy is available but not devices such as the dishwasher which, when started, one doesn't really want to turn off just because the sun is behind a cloud. Typically, we set a delay on our dishwasher before we go out in the morning based on the insolation peak shown in pvoutput.org

The calculation will include the property location Lat/Lon co-ordinates, roof pitch angle and compass orientation of the roof in degrees.

What I've had difficulty finding help with is the mathematical calculation. I'm not a natural mathematician or programmer but I am probably determined enough to work it through with some help.

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Regards, Steve

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you for your reply. Yes, that is a large part of it but, regardless of the weather, I still wish to compute the peak insolation time for each day. i.e. The time in the day when the sun is focused most directly on the solar panels.

Related to Looking for help calculating daily solar PV insolation

1. How do I calculate daily solar PV insolation?

To calculate daily solar PV insolation, you will need to know the solar irradiance (kWh/m2/day) for your location, the tilt angle and orientation of your solar panels, and the efficiency of your solar panels. You can then use the following formula: Daily Insolation (kWh/m2/day) = Solar Irradiance (kWh/m2/day) x Panel Efficiency x (cosine of tilt angle x cosine of solar azimuth angle x sine of solar altitude angle).

2. Where can I find the solar irradiance data for my location?

You can find solar irradiance data for your location from various sources such as the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) or the National Solar Radiation Database (NSRDB). These databases provide historical and current solar irradiance data for different locations around the world.

3. What is the tilt angle and orientation of solar panels?

The tilt angle refers to the angle at which the solar panel is installed relative to the ground. The optimal tilt angle for solar panels varies depending on your location and the time of year. The orientation refers to the direction in which the solar panel is facing, typically either towards the equator (for the northern hemisphere) or away from the equator (for the southern hemisphere).

4. How can I improve the efficiency of my solar panels?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of your solar panels, such as keeping them clean and free of debris, ensuring proper placement and orientation, and using high-quality solar panels with a high efficiency rating. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help identify and address any issues that may affect the efficiency of your solar panels.

5. Are there any online tools available for calculating daily solar PV insolation?

Yes, there are many online tools available for calculating daily solar PV insolation. Some popular tools include PVWatts by NREL, Solar Calculator by Solar-Estimate.org, and Solar Panel Angle Calculator by PVCalc.org. These online tools can help simplify the calculation process and provide accurate results based on your location and specific system setup.