Looking for Good Fluid Dynamics Book

In summary, the individual is a first year graduate student in physics and is looking for a book on fluid dynamics that is more physics-oriented than engineering-oriented. They have a strong mathematical and physics foundation and are looking for an introduction to the subject at an intermediate undergraduate level. Recommendations include "Physical Fluid Dynamics" by Tritton, lecture notes from top universities, and old books such as "Foundations of Radiation Hydrodynamics" by Mihalas.
McCoy13
I know this question has been asked plenty of times, but nonetheless I wanted to get some recommendations that might better jive with my situation than other the other threads I've read about this topic.

I'm a first year grad student in physics that hasn't had a course in fluid dynamics, but really enjoys that field (I've been to a couple conferences and done some research using a fluid system). I'm going to be starting a research project soon in fluids, and I want to read up on it so I'm a bit more knowledgeable about the context of my project.

I'm looking for a book that is more physics-oriented than engineering-oriented. I've enjoyed books by Griffiths, Schroeder, and Strogatz. Standards like Landau, Goldstein/Poole/Safko, and Jackson have been okay but feel a little less pedagogical (almost more like an apprenticeship than a course). I'd like something that's relatively brief and broad, sort of an at an intermediate undergraduate level. I have a strong mathematical and physics foundation, but ultimately I am still looking for an introduction to the subject.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are at a university I recommend you go to the library and browse to see if you find what you are looking for. I am not a fluids expert by any means (grad work was in plasma physics but only took one undergrad level fluids course), so hopefully others more knowledgeable jump in here. I enjoyed "physical fluid dynamics" by tritton; it was required (along with Landau) for the course I took. It is not so mathematical compared to Landau, and also doesn't cover surface waves (bummer!) but is an easy read for anyone who has taken even intermediate mechanics and EM. Lots of words to explain the physics and has some nice pictures; may be too light for someone like you, but great for getting physical insight.

jason

edit: you may also like these notes:
http://www.pma.caltech.edu/Courses/ph136/yr2011/
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching.html

Last edited:
Elementary Fluid Dynamics by Acheson is quite good.

If you're already at the grad level, there's no reason you can't use Landau as an intro to the subject, after all his series is intended to be self-contained as far as the physics is concerned (but certainly not the math).

But I know Landau's are incredibly terse at times, so if you want a lighter reading to get a broad sense of the subject and start solving some elementary problems first, try looking for some good university lecture notes, there are dozens freely available from top universities if you google for it and I'm sure a few of them are good if not better than some of the major textbooks.

There are also some old out of print books available freely now which are quite good, the first few chapters in Mihalas' "Foundations of Radiation Hydrodynamics" provide a short review of the basics of the subject.

As a scientist who has also studied fluid dynamics, I can recommend a few books that may fit your criteria. "An Introduction to Fluid Dynamics" by G.K. Batchelor is a classic textbook that is more physics-oriented and has a clear and concise writing style. Another option is "Fluid Mechanics" by Pijush K. Kundu, Ira M. Cohen, and David R. Dowling, which is also more physics-focused and has a good balance of theory and applications. "A First Course in Fluid Dynamics" by A.R. Paterson is another great option for an introductory level book that covers a wide range of topics in fluid dynamics.

Additionally, I would suggest looking into online resources such as MIT OpenCourseWare or Khan Academy for free lectures and tutorials on fluid dynamics. These can be a great supplement to your reading and may provide a more interactive learning experience.

Overall, I recommend choosing a book that aligns with your learning style and covers the specific topics you are interested in. Good luck with your research project and happy reading!

Related to Looking for Good Fluid Dynamics Book

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, behave and interact with their surroundings. It is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and properties of fluids, including topics such as flow patterns, turbulence, and viscosity.

2. Why is it important to study fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has numerous real-world applications, such as in the design of airplanes, cars, and ships, as well as in weather forecasting and understanding ocean currents. It also plays a crucial role in industries like energy production, medicine, and environmental science.

3. What makes a good fluid dynamics book?

A good fluid dynamics book should provide a comprehensive overview of the subject, with clear explanations of key concepts and equations. It should also include a variety of examples and illustrations to help readers understand the material. Additionally, a good book should have a logical structure and be well-organized for easy navigation.

4. Are there any recommended books for beginners in fluid dynamics?

Yes, some popular books for beginners in fluid dynamics include "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by Robert W. Fox, Alan T. McDonald, and Philip J. Pritchard, "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson, Donald F. Young, and Theodore H. Okiishi, and "An Introduction to Fluid Dynamics" by G. K. Batchelor.

5. Can fluid dynamics books be useful for non-scientists?

Absolutely. While fluid dynamics is a complex and technical subject, many books are written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. These books can provide a basic understanding of fluid dynamics principles and their applications in everyday life, making them useful for anyone interested in the topic.