Looking for formula to equate force to oscillation frequency/length

In summary, the conversation is about figuring out the tension strength on a guitar string using its oscillation frequency and length. The person looked online but couldn't find much, and also tried dimensional analysis with no luck. They were then referred to a Wikipedia page that could provide helpful information.
dazzlepecs
Hi, i am interested in figuring out the tension strength on a guitar string, by using its oscillation frequency (or fundamental harmonic) and its length.. I looked online but can't find much... I tried some dimensional analysis but couldn't come up with much

Physics news on Phys.org
dazzlepecs said:
Hi, i am interested in figuring out the tension strength on a guitar string, by using its oscillation frequency (or fundamental harmonic) and its length.. I looked online but can't find much... I tried some dimensional analysis but couldn't come up with much

Welcome to the PF. This web page should get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrating_string

Related to Looking for formula to equate force to oscillation frequency/length

What is the relationship between force and oscillation frequency/length?

The relationship between force and oscillation frequency/length is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. This means that as the force applied to a spring increases, the oscillation frequency or length will also increase.

How can I calculate the force required for a specific oscillation frequency/length?

To calculate the force required for a specific oscillation frequency/length, you can use the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. The spring constant can be determined through experiments or by using a known value for the material and dimensions of the spring.

Is there a formula to equate force to oscillation frequency/length for any type of spring?

Yes, the formula F = kx applies to all types of springs, including linear springs, torsion springs, and compression springs. However, the value of the spring constant (k) may vary depending on the type of spring and its dimensions.

What factors can affect the relationship between force and oscillation frequency/length?

The main factors that can affect the relationship between force and oscillation frequency/length are the properties of the spring, including its material, dimensions, and stiffness. Other factors may include external forces acting on the spring, such as friction or air resistance.

How can I use the relationship between force and oscillation frequency/length in real-world applications?

The relationship between force and oscillation frequency/length is commonly used in various mechanical and engineering applications, such as in the design of suspension systems, shock absorbers, and springs in vehicles. It is also important in understanding the behavior of structures subjected to dynamic forces, such as bridges and buildings.