Looking for details on how these two items are manufactured

• Engineering
  • Thread starter etotheipi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding online resources for learning about the manufacturing process of screws and springs. The materials used, such as low to medium carbon steel, stainless steel, brass, nickel alloys, and aluminum alloy, play a crucial role in the quality of the final product. The process involves cold heading, head slotting, and heat treatment. The group suggests a website with a brief description and a more technical resource for screws, and a table for springs. The person asking for help appreciates the replies and will follow up on the provided links.
etotheipi
Hey guys,

Is anyone aware of some good quality (and available online) pages/references describing the how i) screws and ii) springs are manufactured? I'm mainly worried about the materials processing side of things, i.e. cooling from the melt, and then subsequent deformation processing.

Thanks, I really appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes JD_PM and etotheipi
Screws are generally made from low to medium carbon steel wire, but other tough and inexpensive metals may be substituted, such as stainless steel, brass, nickel alloys, or aluminum alloy. Quality of the metal used is of utmost importance in order to avoid

The cold heading machine cuts a length of wire and makes two blows on the end, forming a head. In the head slotting machine, the screw blanks are clamped in the grooves around the perimeter of the wheel. A circular cutter slots the screws as the wheel revolves.

The cold heading machine cuts a length of wire and makes two blows on the end, forming a head. In the head slotting machine, the screw blanks are clamped in the grooves around the perimeter of the wheel. A circular cutter slots the screws as the wheel revolves.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Screw.html
Now I know much more than before.

Likes etotheipi
Thanks, I had a look and that seems like a good start. Do you know if there's also something more technical?

If it is tightened by turning the head, is a screw. You need to be more precise about the screw type, material, and the reason for your enquiry.

Springs are made from similar materials in many shapes and sizes. Springs are made using many processes. Again, be more precise.

Heat treatment is critical to both screws and springs.

Likes etotheipi
Thanks for everyone's help! Because this is an independent research project I can't add any more details without running the risk of receiving too much help, so it's difficult to let you guys know what I'm after. But I do appreciate the replies. The links posted above are very good, so I'll follow up on those.

Thank you!

Related to Looking for details on how these two items are manufactured

1. How are these two items manufactured?

The manufacturing process for these two items may vary depending on the specific products. However, in general, they are both likely to go through several stages such as design, raw material sourcing, production, quality control, and packaging.

2. What materials are used in the manufacturing of these items?

The materials used in the manufacturing of these items can vary greatly depending on the type of product. Some common materials used may include metals, plastics, fabrics, wood, and electronic components.

3. Are these items manufactured in a specific location?

The location of manufacturing can vary for these items. Some may be produced locally, while others may be manufactured in different countries. This can depend on factors such as cost, availability of resources, and expertise.

4. What techniques or processes are used in the manufacturing of these items?

The techniques and processes used in manufacturing can also vary depending on the products. Some common techniques may include casting, molding, machining, assembly, and finishing. Advanced technologies such as 3D printing may also be used.

5. How long does the manufacturing process take for these items?

The duration of the manufacturing process can vary for these items. It can depend on factors such as the complexity of the product, the availability of resources, and the efficiency of the production process. It can range from a few hours for simple items to several weeks or months for more complex products.