Looking for counterexample in inequality proof

In summary: Rightarrow a^2 + b^2 \ge 2ab + 1 . If you start with a^2 + b^2 \ge 2ab + 1 you can't get back to a^2 + b^2 - 2ab \ge 0. There is another issue that I haven't seen mentioned. Working backwards is a great form of proof, but it often has to be accompanied by a human explanation. When working forwards, every step of a proof is a new fact, something that
cerealkiller
Hi guys,

I have to teach inequality proofs and am looking for an opinion on something.

Lets say I have to prove that a2+b2≥2ab. (a very simple example, but I just want to demonstrate the logic behind the proof that I am questioning)

Now the correct response would be to start with the inequality (a - b)2≥0, then progress to:

a2+b2-2ab≥0
∴ a2+b2≥2ab.

What many students do, as it is generally much easier, is to start with the required result and work backwards:

i.e.

a2+b2≥2ab
a2+b2-2ab≥0
∴ (a - b)2≥0, which is true, ∴ the initial result must also be true.

Can anyone provide an example where starting with the result and working toward a true statement will not work? My colleagues would generally discourage this approach but it would be much more convincing to students if I could show them a situation where it won't work.

Thanks for the help guys!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here's my favorite:

[tex]1 = 2~\Rightarrow~1\cdot 0 = 2\cdot 0~\Rightarrow~0 = 0[/tex]

Thanks! Are there any others that you know of? There are some obvious no-nos, multiplying both sides by 0 being one of them, but I was hoping for one that was maybe a little more subtle.

cerealkiller said:
a2+b2≥2ab
a2+b2-2ab≥0
That example is OK because each step is reversible. To illustrate a broken usage you need to introduce an irreversible step.
a2+b2≥2ab+c2
a2+b2-2ab≥c2
(a - b)2≥c2≥0
Or just
a≥b
a2≥b2≥0
Hence a2≥0, which is true...

When working "backwards" it's as haruspex says important that every step is reversible. So instead of implications arrows, you are looking for equivalence arrows, or simply backwards implication arrows. If you're not using only equivalence arrows, you might want to do at least the steps without equivalence arrows of the proof in the right direction.

I would however not discourage this way of proving inequalities, it's extremely helpful to start out with what you want to prove and try to reversibly find an inequality you can easily prove, and not very instructive to look for some random inequality of which your original one should follow from.

Last edited:
cerealkiller said:
Can anyone provide an example where starting with the result and working toward a true statement will not work? My colleagues would generally discourage this approach but it would be much more convincing to students if I could show them a situation where it won't work.

Well, it's kind of easy to produce an example where you have a correct inequality and work your way to a correct one, but not providing a proof of the original inequality. Suppose you want to prove that [itex](a^2+b^2)(c^2+d^2) \geq (ac+bd)^2[/itex] (Cauchy-schwarz in two variables) then you could try to argue as follows:

[tex](a^2+b^2)(c^2+d^2) \geq (ac+bd)^2 \Rightarrow (a^2+b^2)(c^2+d^2) + (ac+bd)^2 \geq (ac+bd)^2 \Rightarrow (a^2+b^2)(c^2+d^2) \geq 0[/tex] which is true, but this is obviously not a proof.

cerealkiller said:
Now the correct response would be to start with the inequality (a - b)2≥0, then progress to:

a2+b2-2ab≥0
∴ a2+b2≥2ab.

That is "a" correct response provided the theory [itex] (a-b)^2 \ge 0 [/itex] has already been covered in the course. Since proofs employ assumptions and theorems previously established, where a proof can begin depends on the organization of the course materials.

What many students do, as it is generally much easier, is to start with the required result and work backwards:

i.e.

a2+b2≥2ab
a2+b2-2ab≥0

Doing mathematics is compromise between what is logically correct and what humans can do efficiently. Working backwards is a valuable technique. Students who work backwards usually don't write words that create a correct proof. Many instructors allow it anyway.. (Such papers are easier to grade than a formal proof! Concerns about human efficiency include concerns about efficient marking of papers.) Many instructors let students "prove" trig identities and write epsilon-delta "proofs" by working backwards.

Can anyone provide an example where starting with the result and working toward a true statement will not work?

In view of what other posters explained about the need for reversibility, try [itex] (a^2 + b^2 - 2ab ) \ge -1 [/itex]

Related to Looking for counterexample in inequality proof

1. What is a counterexample in inequality proof?

A counterexample in inequality proof is a specific example that disproves a mathematical inequality. In other words, it is a value or set of values that does not follow the given inequality and therefore invalidates the proof.

2. Why is it important to look for counterexamples in inequality proof?

Looking for counterexamples helps to ensure the validity of a mathematical proof. If a counterexample is found, it means that the inequality is not universally true and the proof needs to be revised or discarded.

3. How do I find a counterexample in inequality proof?

To find a counterexample, you can start by trying specific numerical values that satisfy the given inequality. If these values do not follow the inequality, then you have found a counterexample. You can also use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to identify potential counterexamples.

4. Can a counterexample exist for any inequality?

Yes, a counterexample can exist for any inequality. This is because inequalities are not always universally true and can be disproven by specific values or conditions. However, some inequalities may be more difficult to disprove than others.

5. Are there any strategies for avoiding counterexamples in inequality proof?

One strategy is to use variables instead of numerical values in the proof. This allows for a more general and flexible approach to the inequality. Additionally, thoroughly checking the proof and considering different scenarios can help identify potential counterexamples before they are published.