Looking for an Advanced How Things Work book

In summary, a person is looking for an advanced "How Things Work" book that is written for those with a background in physical sciences, engineering, or applied math. They would also accept a website as a resource. They are specifically interested in a book that provides a brief overview of the physics involved in topics such as car engines or LCD screens. The person acknowledges that there may not be a large audience for such a book, but they are wondering if one has ever been written. A suggestion is made for the book "How Things Work: The Physics of Everyday Life" by Louis Bloomfield. It is also noted that the concept of this type of book would be interesting, but may result in a large and expensive encyclopedia.
maverick_starstrider
Looking for an Advanced "How Things Work" book

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a book that was like a "How things work" book but written for someone who has a bachelors in the physical sciences, engineering of applied math or some such? I'd settle for a website. Like what I'm looking for is a book that will say talk about how a car engine works (or how an LCD screen works,etc.) or some such and actually do a brief overview of the physics involved by actually doing the physics and deriving the pertinent relations.

It seems to me that there wouldn't be a huge reader base for such a book but I was just wondering if such a book had ever been written.

Physics news on Phys.org

If there WAS such a thing it would either be:
1. Each article is really short.
2. An encyclopedia, and therefore, expensive.

Try this- http://www.howstuffworks.com/

Take a look at "How Things Work: The Physics of Everyday Life" by Louis Bloomfield.

I've thought about this too, it would be an interesting book. However, I also started thinking that to give a satisfactory explanation about how stuff works to the non-layman, the book might just be gigantic or only talk about a few things.

Related to Looking for an Advanced How Things Work book

1. What is an "Advanced How Things Work" book?

An Advanced How Things Work book is a comprehensive guide that delves into the intricate details of various scientific concepts and technologies. It goes beyond the basics and provides a deeper understanding of how things work.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is typically advanced high school students, college students, and professionals in the fields of science, engineering, and technology. However, anyone with a strong interest in science and a desire to learn more can benefit from this book.

3. What topics are typically covered in an Advanced How Things Work book?

Topics covered in this type of book can vary, but some common ones include advanced physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering concepts. It may also cover topics such as energy, technology, and the latest scientific advancements.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

Yes, some background knowledge in science and mathematics is usually required to fully understand the concepts discussed in an Advanced How Things Work book. It is recommended for readers who have a strong foundation in basic scientific principles.

5. Can this book be used as a reference guide?

Yes, an Advanced How Things Work book can serve as a valuable reference guide for students and professionals in the fields of science and technology. It provides in-depth explanations and illustrations that can be used to supplement other learning materials or to refresh one's knowledge on a particular topic.