Looking for an acoustic physics book

In summary, the individual is seeking suggestions for resources on the acoustics of musical instruments and the physics behind playing techniques. They mention having completed math courses up to linear algebra and electrical circuits, and have browsed books at the library using similar math concepts. They mention "Musical Acoustics" by Donald Hall and the books by Arthur Benade as potential resources. The individual also brings up a more advanced book by Rossing and Fletcher.
jack476
In particular, something focused on the acoustics of musical instruments and ideally with a bit of the physics behind playing techniques.

In terms of my preparation, I've completed math up through linear algebra, ODEs and multivariable calculus. I've also completed all of the "core" electrical circuits stuff and a transmission lines course (I bring that up because the books I browsed at the library often used analogies to electrical circuits and transmission lines, using almost entirely the same math as I've done in transmission lines).

Any suggestions are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
jack476 said:
In particular, something focused on the acoustics of musical instruments and ideally with a bit of the physics behind playing techniques.

In terms of my preparation, I've completed math up through linear algebra, ODEs and multivariable calculus. I've also completed all of the "core" electrical circuits stuff and a transmission lines course (I bring that up because the books I browsed at the library often used analogies to electrical circuits and transmission lines, using almost entirely the same math as I've done in transmission lines).

Not exactly what you're looking for, but you may find it interesting:

http://bayes.wustl.edu/etj/music.html

Have you seen Musical Acoustics by Donald Hall? I have it on my shelf but I haven't looked at it in years. I used it for an elective course called the Physics of Music while I was in school. To my recollection it isn't super rigorous, but it might suit your needs.

jack476 said:

The books by Arthur Benade are available in Dover Editions. These are nice introductions.

There is also the book by Rossing and Fletcher that is more advanced. (Springer).

Related to Looking for an acoustic physics book

1. What is acoustic physics?

Acoustic physics is a branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of sound waves. It involves understanding how sound is created, transmitted, and detected, as well as its interactions with different materials and environments.

2. Why should I look for an acoustic physics book?

If you are interested in learning about sound and its applications, an acoustic physics book is a great resource. It can provide you with a solid foundation in the principles and theories of acoustic physics, as well as practical applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and music.

3. What topics are typically covered in an acoustic physics book?

An acoustic physics book may cover a range of topics including the nature of sound, wave mechanics, sound propagation, reflection and refraction, resonance, and sound measurement and analysis. It may also touch on related areas such as psychoacoustics, architectural acoustics, and musical acoustics.

4. Are there different types of acoustic physics books available?

Yes, there are various types of acoustic physics books available, including introductory textbooks, advanced reference books, and specialized books on specific topics within the field. Some books may also focus on practical applications, such as acoustic design or noise control.

5. Can I find free resources on acoustic physics online?

Yes, there are many free resources available online that cover different aspects of acoustic physics. These include lecture notes, tutorials, videos, and interactive simulations. However, for a comprehensive and structured understanding of the subject, it is recommended to supplement these resources with a good acoustic physics book.