Looking for a undergrad senior project topic

In summary: It's also a good idea to talk to other students in your classes and see if they have any ideas or if they are also looking for a project partner.In summary, the speaker is a graduating senior who needs to choose their senior project topic by the end of May. They are interested in number theory and differential equations but not linear or abstract algebra. They have taken various math classes and will be taking more next semester. The speaker is seeking input and suggestions for their project, including potentially working with a professor or finding a project partner.
Steff196
Hi all, I'm a graduating senior next semester and I need to choose my senior project topic by the end of May. The problem is that I have NO idea where to even start looking. Anyone have any ideas? I am interested in number theory, and some differential equations but NOT linear or abstract algebra. For reference, I've taken these math classes:

Calc I,II,III, advanced (analysis)
Linear and Abstract Algebra
Pure Mathematics (sequences, series, and foundations type class)
Differential equations
Intro and Mathematical statistics

classes I will be taking next semester:

Number Theory and Cryptology
Theory of Interest

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you contacted any professors to ask about doing the research project with them? That would probably be better than choosing a topic yourself, as they will know the relevant background of whatever topic they suggest and can help point you in the right direction. If you pick one all on your own, there's no guarantee any professors will be able to help you out much.

Take at look at the math department website and find professors doing research in fields you might be interested in doing a project in and contact them to discuss the possibility of doing your research project with them.

Related to Looking for a undergrad senior project topic

What is the importance of choosing a good senior project topic?

Choosing a good senior project topic is important because it will be the focus of your research and work for an extended period of time. It should be something that you are passionate about and interested in, as well as relevant to your field of study. A good topic can also lead to potential career opportunities or further research in graduate school.

How do I come up with a unique senior project topic?

One way to come up with a unique senior project topic is to look for current gaps or unanswered questions in your field of study. You can also draw inspiration from your own interests and experiences. It can also be helpful to consult with professors or professionals in your field for ideas and guidance.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing a senior project topic?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a senior project topic include the feasibility of the project, available resources and time, and the potential impact of your research. It is also important to consider the scope of the project and make sure it is manageable within the given timeframe.

How can I ensure that my senior project topic is relevant and meaningful?

To ensure that your senior project topic is relevant and meaningful, it is important to do thorough research and stay up-to-date with current advancements and trends in your field. You can also discuss your topic with professors and peers to get feedback and make sure it aligns with the goals and objectives of your program.

What should I do if I am struggling to find a topic for my senior project?

If you are struggling to find a topic for your senior project, you can try brainstorming with a group or seeking advice from professors and professionals in your field. You can also consider narrowing down your interests and focusing on a specific aspect of your field. It can also be helpful to look at previous senior projects for inspiration.