Looking for a relativity movie

In summary, the conversation discusses a cartoon about relativity featuring Einstein in a rocket with a special clock called a "light clock." The clock was made of two mirrors and a photon bouncing between them. The conversation also includes a search for the video, which was eventually found on a physics forum and features Heinrich Lorentz driving the rocket.
lalbatros
I have seem some months ago a nice moving on relativity.
It was a cartoon featuring Einstein in a rocket with a special clock called "light clock".
This "light clock" was simply made of two mirrors and a photon bouncing in between these mirrors.

If you know where this can be found, please give me the URL.

Thanks,

Michel

Physics news on Phys.org
Was it from here
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog/2005/12/03/pirelli-relativity-challenge-2005-winners-announced/
or from here
Mechanical Universe http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html?

Last edited by a moderator:
robphy,

Thanks, but it was not one of these.

The light clock was a vertical cylinder with a pulse (ball) of light bouncing between top and bottom. I think Einstein was driving the rocket. It was nicely done.

Michel

Maybe you can describe more about the movie? What is the main theme of the movie? Is there a special focus (such as time travel, twin paradox or who knows what) or just a broad view of relativity?

What I remember:

- the drawing were excellent quality, everything is 3D rendering and good colors
- Einstein was funny but nicely represented in the rocket
- the main point was the "light clock", looking a bit like a hourglass, it was simply a cylinder with a photon bouncing between the flat walls

The movie was representing the familiar geometry used to explain the Lorentz transformation, but without any maths and without geometrical drawing, it was really very convincing for a braod public, I think.

I think I first found this movie on a physics forum, but I am not sure.

Michel

Last edited:
This one?

about 1 minute into the video

You may need to find an english version LOL
:-p

Last edited by a moderator:
lalbatros said:
robphy,

Thanks, but it was not one of these.

The light clock was a vertical cylinder with a pulse (ball) of light bouncing between top and bottom. I think Einstein was driving the rocket. It was nicely done.

Michel

I'm pretty sure know the video you're referring to, though it was actually Heinrich Lorentz who was driving the rocket. Assuming we're talking about the same thing (and I think we are), Robphy did post the correct link, though you've got to do a bit of digging once you click on it. Here it is again:

http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html

You've got to register with the site before you watch the video, but that only takes about 30 seconds. After that check out video number 43, entitled "Velocity and Time." That should be the video you're looking for.

yenchin,

Look like the movie I was looking for.
But what I remember was longer I think (and in english).
I hope I will find it by gooogling.

thanks

lalbatros said:
yenchin,

Look like the movie I was looking for.
But what I remember was longer I think (and in english).
I hope I will find it by gooogling.

thanks

I believe I watched the long english version on Yahoo video before. You may try that. :)

Related to Looking for a relativity movie

What is the best movie about relativity?

The best movie about relativity is subjective and depends on personal preferences. Some popular choices include "Interstellar", "The Theory of Everything", and "Einstein and Eddington".

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It explains that the laws of physics are the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity.

Is "Interstellar" an accurate representation of relativity?

"Interstellar" contains elements of relativity, but it is a science fiction movie and not a scientifically accurate representation of relativity. Some aspects, such as time dilation, are portrayed accurately, but others, like the concept of a wormhole, are purely speculative.

Are there any documentaries about relativity?

Yes, there are several documentaries about relativity, including "The Elegant Universe", "Inside Einstein's Mind", and "The Fabric of the Cosmos". These documentaries offer a more educational and scientific approach to understanding relativity compared to fictional movies.

Is it necessary to understand relativity to enjoy movies about it?

No, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of relativity to enjoy movies about it. Many movies present the concept in a simplified and entertaining way, making it accessible to a wider audience. However, having a basic understanding of the theory can enhance the viewing experience.