Looking for a method of solution/inversion for x*Tanh[x]

• A
  • Thread starter Hepth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to solve for "x" in the equation y == x*Tanh[x] and whether an inverse function exists for this equation. It is mentioned that the function is not injective on its maximal real domain and thus there is no possibility for an inverse to exist. However, the possibility of finding an inverse by restricting the domain or using numerical methods is discussed. It is concluded that while an inverse does exist, it may not be possible to find a closed form solution and the accuracy of the inverse depends on the chosen domain.
Hepth
Gold Member
$$ y == x*Tanh[x]$$

Solve for "x".

Does this exist? Even in terms of more complicated functions like Lambert W, or possibly recursive solutions/geometric series/etc.

Thanks, if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hepth said:
$$ y == x*Tanh[x]$$

Solve for "x".

Does this exist? Even in terms of more complicated functions like Lambert W, or possibly recursive solutions/geometric series/etc.

First of all. This function is not injective on its maximal real domain, so there is no possibility that an inverse can exist. This can be solved by restricting the domain, however, I believe there is no closed form:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=what+is+the+inverse+function+of+y+=+x+tanh(x)+?

That's what I was finding, even if I'm restricted to 0 to 1 for example, there numerically will exist a a single real
positive solution; but analytically I don't think there's a solution.

At least not in a closed form, yes.

Hepth said:
$$ y == x*Tanh[x]$$

Solve for "x".

For me, the inverse "does" exists and depends what you mean by solve:
In Mathematica:
Code:
myData = Array[{# Tanh[#], #} &, {100}, {0, 20}];
myTanhInverse = Interpolation[myData]

myTanhInverse is pretty close to the inverse (domain-restricted). I leave it to the reader to modify my code so that the inverse is accurate to 20 digits in the interval (0,20).

Last edited:

Related to Looking for a method of solution/inversion for x*Tanh[x]

1. What is the purpose of finding a method of solution/inversion for x*Tanh[x]?

The purpose of finding a method of solution/inversion for x*Tanh[x] is to be able to solve equations or problems that involve this function. By finding a method of solution/inversion, we can manipulate and solve these equations more easily and efficiently.

2. What is the definition of x*Tanh[x]?

x*Tanh[x] is a mathematical function that is the product of x and the hyperbolic tangent of x. It is often used in physics and engineering to model various physical phenomena.

3. Is there an analytical method to solve x*Tanh[x]?

No, there is currently no analytical method to solve x*Tanh[x]. However, there are numerical methods and approximations that can be used to find solutions.

4. Are there any real-world applications for x*Tanh[x]?

Yes, x*Tanh[x] has many real-world applications. It is commonly used in modeling heat transfer, electrical circuits, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in image processing and data compression.

5. How can we find a method of inversion for x*Tanh[x]?

There are several approaches to finding a method of inversion for x*Tanh[x]. One way is to use numerical methods and algorithms to approximate the inverse function. Another way is to use properties of the function to simplify and manipulate it in order to find an inverse function.