Looking for a math study/project-mate

• Thread starter Ryuzaki
  • Start date
In summary, a math major is looking for a study/project-mate to work on a math-related project over the summer. They are open to any interesting and challenging math topics and are looking for someone with an interest in mathematics. They also mention a previous project that didn't work out and the possibility of working with a group of 5-6 members. One idea is to work on Richardson extrapolation or the problem mentioned in a link provided by a previous commenter. Another idea is to study material on a math blog and exchange comments with the blogger. The math major is also looking for suggestions for other math blogs with lighter content.
Ryuzaki
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post in, but since this post has much to do with mathematics, and a positive reply relies on maximum viewership, I reasoned it would be best to post here on General Math.

I'm a math major and was wondering what to do over this summer, since I'm not going for any internships/have any fixated family agenda. I was thinking of working out a book, like Spivak, or work on a math-related project. In fact, some time back here on PF, I had posted a thread "Project-Mathematics of Crime-fighting" where Stephen Tashi, Vargo and others had given me very interesting ideas to work on. Sadly, that didn't turn out as expected. The reason was myself; I got demotivated rather quickly :redface: (feeling rather ashamed about it). Initially, I was enthusiastic, but when it came to researching the concepts, and working out the math, I guess the lack of someone to spark off the ideas with, and share my thoughts, eventually put me off.

So, in order to not repeat the same mistake again, and to do something fun this summer, I'm looking for a study/project-mate; so that can bounce off our ideas and intuition, and learn something new in the process. I'm open to doing anything, as long it's interesting and challenging math that we'd both be comfortable with. Collaboration would be purely online, through email/other means which can be discussed. The stipulated time period would be May 20th - July 20th, but I guess that can be discussed as well.

The only factor I'm looking for, is an interest towards mathematics/analyzing stuff mathematically. Provided that, I don't think it'll be that hard to find something to work on, that's interesting for both of us.

A grander idea would have been to build a small online team of 5-6 members, but I guess that's asking for much. So, anyone up for it? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Since there's no exchange of money involved, we do not consider this a violation of the rule about soliciting, and will allow it.

Last edited:
I would be interested in working on some sort of math project. Do you have any specific ideas?

We could go through Bartle's measure theory text if you're up for it. I've been meaning to complete the elegant little text. ;)

Fredrik said:
Since there's no exchange of money involved, we do not consider this a violation of the rule about soliciting, and will allow it.

I'll give you $20 to make it a violation.

Ryuzaki said:
The stipulated time period would be May 20th - July 20th

That sounds like a realistic estimate for someone who will have other things to do after the summer. I don't think you will be able to go through a typical math book in 2 months, even a small book. A few chapters of a book would be a reasonable goal or perhaps study a published paper. Or tackle a real world problem like http://proteneer.com/blog/?p=1557

Another idea: Study the material on someone's math blog. Then you can exchange comments with the blogger. You and any partners will have those communcations as added motivation.

A math blog that I find interesting is http://drexel28.wordpress.com/. I'm not sure it's active now. (Perhaps its author also needs some motivation!) He did appreciate people reading his pages and pointing out minor typos. I think he presents mathematical ideas well. (And if you're going into a math as a career, you should get to know the mathematicians of the future.)

Office_Shredder said:
I would be interested in working on some sort of math project. Do you have any specific ideas?

Hey Office_Shredder! Glad to know you're interested! :smile: I've been thinking about doing something on Richardson extrapolation, which was suggested to me a while back, by Stephen Tashi. And now, I find the problem mentioned in his link above, interesting as well! (though I didn't completely understand it). Let me know if you have any specific ideas/projects/topics in mind. I haven't finalized on anything yet, as I've found a couple other people passionate in math as well interested in joining our group, and would like to hear out their ideas and interests as well.

So, do you confirm upon working with us as a group, Office_Shredder? :smile:

WannabeNewton said:
We could go through Bartle's measure theory text if you're up for it. I've been meaning to complete the elegant little text. ;)

Ah, I'm sorry, but I feel Measure Theory might be a bit too much for me. I'm just a beginner when it comes to Real Analysis (having just started Spivak) and I believe that's a major prerequisite to Measure theory. Sorry, but I think I'm not ready to appreciate it's elegance, yet.

Stephen Tashi said:
That sounds like a realistic estimate for someone who will have other things to do after the summer. I don't think you will be able to go through a typical math book in 2 months, even a small book. A few chapters of a book would be a reasonable goal or perhaps study a published paper. Or tackle a real world problem like http://proteneer.com/blog/?p=1557

Good hearing from you after so long, Stephen! I feel guilty doing nothing whatsoever, especially after you had provided so many valuable comments in that previous thread. :redface: I swear I'll work hard this time though! :smile:

Hmm, I haven't decided what to do yet, as the group hasn't been finalized yet. The link you mentioned above seems very interesting though. Do you have links to more of these kind of interesting open problems?

Stephen Tashi said:
Another idea: Study the material on someone's math blog. Then you can exchange comments with the blogger. You and any partners will have those communcations as added motivation.

I think that's a brilliant idea! And I found the above blog quite fun; even though most of the stuff was quite over my head, I found his method of exposition very entertaining! Do you have any more blogs to suggest, perhaps with a tad lighter math? I've tried looking for math blogs in the past, but all of them were either book resources/inactive for years. Thanks again, Stephen!

I think I am at about the same stage as you in learning math, so I am quite interested also. What sort of things were you thinking of doing (or what did you start off doing last summer?)

Ryuzaki said:
Ah, I'm sorry, but I feel Measure Theory might be a bit too much for me. I'm just a beginner when it comes to Real Analysis (having just started Spivak) and I believe that's a major prerequisite to Measure theory. Sorry, but I think I'm not ready to appreciate it's elegance, yet.
No need to apologize mate! Spivak is harder anyways :smile: Best of luck!

Ryuzaki said:
Hey Office_Shredder! Glad to know you're interested! :smile: I've been thinking about doing something on Richardson extrapolation, which was suggested to me a while back, by Stephen Tashi. And now, I find the problem mentioned in his link above, interesting as well! (though I didn't completely understand it). Let me know if you have any specific ideas/projects/topics in mind. I haven't finalized on anything yet, as I've found a couple other people passionate in math as well interested in joining our group, and would like to hear out their ideas and interests as well.

So, do you confirm upon working with us as a group, Office_Shredder? :smile:

Richardson extrapolation looks pretty interesting as a technique but I don't see what exactly you would do to make a project out of it.

Looking at an open combinatorics type problem (or other easily accessible problem) would be fun

Related to Looking for a math study/project-mate

1. What is the purpose of looking for a math study/project-mate?

The purpose of looking for a math study/project-mate is to find someone who shares similar interests and can collaborate with you on studying or completing a math project. This can provide a more efficient and effective learning experience as well as provide support and motivation.

2. How do I find a math study/project-mate?

There are a few ways to find a math study/project-mate. You can post on online forums or social media groups, ask your classmates or professors for recommendations, or attend math study groups or events to meet potential study/project-mates.

3. What qualities should I look for in a math study/project-mate?

Some important qualities to look for in a math study/project-mate include reliability, strong math skills, good communication and collaboration skills, and a similar level of commitment and work ethic.

4. How should I communicate and work with my math study/project-mate?

Communication is key when working with a study/project-mate. It is important to establish clear expectations and goals, regularly check in with each other, and divide tasks and responsibilities evenly. It is also helpful to discuss and decide on a preferred method of communication, whether it be in person, over email, or through a messaging app.

5. What should I do if my math study/project-mate and I are not compatible?

If you find that you and your math study/project-mate are not compatible, it is important to address any issues or concerns openly and respectfully. If necessary, you can also try finding a new study/project-mate or seek additional support from your professor or classmates. Remember that the ultimate goal is to learn and succeed, so finding a compatible study/project-mate is important for your academic success.