Looking for a great microscope below 1um, .

• Thread starter tdd10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microscope
In summary, Troy is looking for recommendations on a camera and software to measure carbon nanofibers with a microscope in the range of 200-600 nm. The University's microscope with a 40x lens is not suitable for accurate measurements and he is considering purchasing a microscope with a 120x range. He also mentions the limitations of optical microscopes and the possibility of using an SEM on campus.
tdd10
Hello everyon,

Sorry if this is the wrong sub forum but I thought it would work. I am trying to photograph carbon nanofibers with a microscope (I don't need it to be too fancy). I am in the range of 200-600 nm and I cannot measure them too well with the 40x lens on the University's microscope. I just need a camera/software to measure them with a suitable microscope as well. I am assuming anything in the 120x range would suffice. It would need a high powered light. The program we use at the University is Spot Basic and Spot Advanced. Anyone have any reccomendations? Thank you all for any input.

-Troy

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unless you're going for a very high end optical, I think you'll be limited in the resolving power of your microscope:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_microscope#Limitations

You're probably better off trying to find an SEM somewhere on your campus (try the biology or geoscience departments--if nothing, they might know who does have one, or where you can send samples to)

We do have one on campus but I am not allowed to use it due to me no longer being a student here but working on campus for a private company. I will see if I can gain access to it because the assistant director of polymer engineering knows I'm a respectful and knowledgeable person. I was just looking at my options to buy through my company in the 3-5k range, or cheaper.

Thanks,
Troy

Related to Looking for a great microscope below 1um, .

What is the resolution of the microscope?

The resolution of a microscope refers to its ability to distinguish between two closely spaced objects. In order to see objects below 1um, the microscope should have a resolution of at least 0.2um.

What type of illumination does the microscope use?

The type of illumination used by a microscope is important for achieving clear and accurate images. For viewing objects below 1um, it is recommended to use a microscope with brightfield or darkfield illumination.

What is the magnification range of the microscope?

The magnification range of a microscope determines the maximum size of the image that can be viewed. To see objects below 1um, a microscope with a magnification range of at least 100x to 1000x is recommended.

What is the price range for a microscope below 1um?

The price of a microscope can vary depending on its features and capabilities. A high-quality microscope suitable for viewing objects below 1um can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.

Does the microscope have digital imaging capabilities?

Digital imaging capabilities allow for capturing and storing images of the objects being viewed. This can be useful for analysis and documentation. When looking for a microscope below 1um, it is recommended to choose one with digital imaging capabilities.