Looking for a clear distinction between laws and kinematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the distinction between the laws of nature and the kinematics of nature. They agree that kinematics deals with motion and is a subset of Newton's Laws. The laws of nature are where equations of motion come from and their application results in kinematics. They also mention alternative approaches such as Lagrangian mechanics and Hamiltonian kinematics. However, they acknowledge that everything changed with the introduction of Albert's theories.
SamRoss
Gold Member
Can anyone define the distinction between the laws of nature and the kinematics of nature? I am thinking that laws have more to do with forces and potentials and kinematics have more to do with velocities and reference frames but I cannot formulate a clear definition of one that does not overlap with the other. Is there a distinction or should I not even bother?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinematics by definition has to do with motion, so unless you can find a law of nature that is not concerned with motion, you are correct and should not even bother.

Likes 1 person
Kinematics is a subset of Newton's Laws. That is, kinematics are a consequence of Newton's Laws. You can also talk about relativistic kinematics being a consequence of Newton's Laws as modified by relativity.

Likes 1 person
The laws of nature would be where the equations of motion come from (i.e. principle of least action, conservation laws, etc). The application of these equations if motion is kinematics of one kind or another.

True, which is what I said in a different way. You could also approach things from Lagrangian mechanics, probably ending up with Hamiltonian kinematics. But he was dealing with Newtonian mechanics, so I kept to that. As you know, some pre-Newton scientists had worked out some kinematic equations on a strictly empirical basis, but Newton showed where these came from, in the nonrelativistic, low gravity field instances.
(Then this guy named Albert messed up everything.)

Related to Looking for a clear distinction between laws and kinematics

What is the difference between laws and kinematics?

Laws refer to principles or rules that describe how the physical world behaves, while kinematics is the branch of mechanics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion.

How are laws and kinematics related?

Laws are used to describe the behavior of objects in motion, and kinematics is used to calculate and analyze the motion of objects based on these laws.

Can laws and kinematics be used interchangeably?

No, laws and kinematics serve different purposes. Laws provide a general understanding of the behavior of objects, while kinematics is a more specific and mathematical approach used to analyze motion.

Are laws and kinematics only applicable to physical objects?

Yes, laws and kinematics are used to study the behavior and motion of physical objects in the physical world.

How can a clear distinction between laws and kinematics be made?

A clear distinction can be made by understanding that laws provide the principles and concepts that govern the behavior of objects, while kinematics uses these laws to analyze and calculate the motion of objects.