Looking for a Book to Learn Java and OOP?

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to learn Java and struggling with understanding Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) and how to use it in Java to build complex data structures. They have learned the basics of Java through online tutorials, but none of them have provided a good explanation of OOP. They are looking for recommendations on resources to help them better understand and implement data structures in Java. Suggestions include the Java Collections Framework and books such as "Data Structures & Algorithms in Java" and "Head First Java" and "Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design."
trollcast
Gold Member
I'm currently trying to learn java and I've managed to pick up most of the basics from tutorials and stuff on the internet (loops, conditionals, defining functions etc.).

However none of them provide a good explanation of OOP and how to use it in java, except for a very trivial example like creating a datatype to store a persons name and age. I'm interested in learning how you actually would use this in a program to build more complicated data structures like trees and stacks.

Physics news on Phys.org
trollcast said:
I'm currently trying to learn java and I've managed to pick up most of the basics from tutorials and stuff on the internet (loops, conditionals, defining functions etc.).

However none of them provide a good explanation of OOP and how to use it in java, except for a very trivial example like creating a datatype to store a persons name and age. I'm interested in learning how you actually would use this in a program to build more complicated data structures like trees and stacks.

If you've gotten past the basic programming stage, you can start looking at data structures and their properties.

Look up information about the java collections framework. I would also recommend Data Structures & Algorithms in java by Goodrich and Tamassia if you're completely new to the concepts.

Zondrina said:
If you've gotten past the basic programming stage, you can start looking at data structures and their properties.

Look up information about the java collections framework. I would also recommend Data Structures & Algorithms in java by Goodrich and Tamassia if you're completely new to the concepts.

Thanks, I know the basics of how some of the data structures work from computing class but I have never implemented them before in an actual programming language. Its more the implementation of them I don't understand rather than the actual theory of them (most of which is pretty accessable online anyway)

As a scientist, my recommendation would be to look for a book that specifically focuses on Java and Object-Oriented Programming (OOP). There are many books available that cover this topic in depth and provide a comprehensive understanding of OOP principles and how to apply them in Java.

One book that I would recommend is "Java: A Beginner's Guide" by Herbert Schildt. This book covers not only the basics of Java, but also delves into OOP concepts such as classes, objects, inheritance, and polymorphism. It also includes practical examples and exercises to help you understand and apply these concepts in real-world scenarios.

Additionally, I would suggest looking for books that have good reviews and ratings from other readers who have used them to learn Java and OOP. This can give you a better idea of which books are effective and well-received by others in the programming community.

In addition to books, there are also many online resources available, such as tutorials, blogs, and forums, that can provide a deeper understanding of OOP in Java. It may be beneficial to supplement your learning with these resources as well.

Overall, learning OOP in Java requires patience and practice. It is important to have a strong foundation in the basics of Java before diving into OOP concepts. With the right resources and dedication, you will be able to build more complex data structures and programs using OOP principles in no time.

Related to Looking for a Book to Learn Java and OOP?

1. What is the best book to learn Java and OOP?

The answer to this question may vary depending on personal preferences and learning style. However, some popular books for learning Java and OOP include "Head First Java" by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates, "Java: A Beginner's Guide" by Herbert Schildt, and "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel.

2. Do I need any prior programming experience to learn Java and OOP?

While it can be helpful to have some prior programming experience, it is not necessary to learn Java and OOP. Many books designed for beginners assume no prior knowledge and provide thorough explanations of programming concepts.

3. Can I learn Java and OOP on my own?

Yes, it is possible to learn Java and OOP on your own with the help of a good book and online resources. However, it may be beneficial to seek guidance from an experienced programmer or enroll in a course to supplement your learning.

4. How long does it take to learn Java and OOP?

The amount of time it takes to learn Java and OOP depends on individual learning pace and dedication. With consistent practice and study, it is possible to gain a basic understanding of Java and OOP within a few months. However, mastery of the language and concepts can take years.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a book for learning Java and OOP?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement a book for learning Java and OOP. Some popular options include online tutorials, coding challenges, and discussion forums where you can ask questions and receive help from other programmers.